VP - Petroleum Engineer
BNP Paribas Overview
BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 countries with more than 198,000 employees, including 145,000 in Europe. It ranks highly in its two core activities: Retail Banking & Services and Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB).
BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Bank is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. With nearly 30,000 employees in over 57 countries, CIB can offer you an exciting and truly global career.
At BNP Paribas CIB, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realize their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe, but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asia Pacific offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
Upstream Oil & Gas (“UOG”) is a Paris-based team of 8 people and part of the Energy, Resources & Infrastructure (ERI) department. The UOG team has a dual responsibility for
- coverage of small to mid-sized Oil & Gas producers with cross selling of Investment Banking products (derivatives, bonds, advisory, flows & deposits, etc)
- and structured financing products (reserve-based lending, pre-export financing, acquisition financing, corporate financing…) for BNPP’s clients active in the upstream Oil & Gas industry.
The team is comprised of senior originators / relationship managers, and petroleum engineers led by our Chief Petroleum Engineer. It is backed by ERI’s transversal Portfolio & Analytics as well as Transaction teams to manage around 50 relationships and prospects, and to structure 15-20 new transactions per year. The team offers a unique opportunity for highly motivated engineer to participate in the monitoring of a large portfolio spanning a wide variety of technical situations and to become instrumental in the development of a renowned franchise in the EMEA zone.
- Technical screening of existing and potential upstream clients for ERI / UOG
- Work with originators/relationship managers to design and propose fit for purpose debt financing solutions based on clients’ assets, activities, current production, future development opportunities, M&A goals and current financial position
- Participate in marketing efforts and develop client relationships, especially when BNPP is acting as Technical Bank
- Perform technical due diligence: collecting documents and reports to formulate a defensible technical case with sensitivities, used for debt capacity & liquidity analysis
- Present risks assessment and technical evaluation reports during credit committees and bank meetings
- Perform site visits to ensure clients assets, facilities and operational and managerial teams are capable of performing as expected
- Training juniors and UOG members on technical analysis and risks assessment
Skills & Experience Required:
- Recognised Engineering School (possibly with financial background)
- Relevant past experience in the oil & gas industry in E&P departments with responsibility for assets and projects and/or similar experience in banking industry.
- Strong petroleum engineering skills: reservoir/subsurface, drilling, operations, project and costs analysis
- Petroleum economics, cash flow analysis
- Fluent in spoken and written English and French (third language also appreciated)
- Basic modelling skills and knowledge of IT tools (Excel, Word and Powerpoint)
- Good negotiation skills
- Organized and synthetic
- Pragmatic and constructive
- Reporting skills
- Team player and good interpersonal skills
- Commercial and communication skills
- Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good conduct
- Demonstrate proactivity, transparency and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
- Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure.
- [For managers only] Take responsibility for your team’s conduct and conduct risks.
Please note that all applicants must disclose whether that they possess the right to work in the U.K. as per the Immigration, Asylum, and Nationality Act of 2006.