At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
The Inspection Group, as the Bank’s periodic control function (i.e., third line of defense), independently assesses the effectiveness of the permanent control function (i.e., first and second lines of defense) to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks. The CCA team fulfills the responsibilities of the Credit Review (or Loan Review) function of the Bank, as defined by the 2006 Interagency Guidance on Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses (ALLL).
Consistent with the Bank’s growth plans in the large corporate / commercial lending space nationally across the US, we are seeking a high caliber credit professionals possessing 10+ years of commercial credit and/or credit review experience in a major bank / financial institution / credit consulting firm / regulatory agency. She/he should have a track-record of excellence in the credit field in the Corporate and Institutional (C&I) and Commercial Financing space, ideally gained in an underwriting, deal structuring, credit adjudication or credit review function, or a combination thereof. The candidate must be able to demonstrate solid expertise in credit analysis, financial and quantitative analysis, deal structures in the C&I space, syndicated facilities, and determination of risk-rating (including ideally, familiarity with PD / LGD rating models and methodology and use of scorecards). In addition, knowledge and insights into the economic environment and its impact on different industry sectors, awareness of competitive dynamics in the financial services sector and the intellectual curiosity to learn will be key success factors in the role and help facilitate career growth.
The candidate’s technical expertise will be compelemented by good communication skills (both verbal and written), and the ability to successfully engage in complex discussions with unit heads of business divisions being audited (auditees).
To the right candidate, the Bank is committed to providing a rewarding, motivating and long-term career in a dynamic and result-oriented environment. Our ability to offer career growth in a business involving diverse lending platforms is a direct result of our close affiliation with our international parent, the BNP Paribas Group, a reputed global powerhouse in financial services with a consistent record of profit growth and strong capitalization, and an established international footprint.
Essential Job Functions
The VP / Senior Credit Review Leader, Credit Review (CCA) is primarily responsible for the day-to-day delivery of credit review work on the audit she/he has been assigned to, including conducting necessary research, coordination and contributing to management of the assigned projects.
Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Perform comprehensive credit review of a judgmentally selected sample of higher risk commercial credits. The credits will involve loans in a diverse range of business platforms and industries.
- Use credit and financial analysis expertise to examine and opine on quality and adequacy of underwriting, including analysis of operational and financial strengths/weaknesses of borrowers, cash flow, leverage and liquidity, competitive positioning, and external/industry factors impacting the business.
- Review credits and hold discussions with the underwriting (Level 1) and RISK (Level 2) teams as required, to opine on comprehensiveness in underwriting relative to risk identification and mitigation (financial and business risks), deal structure and collateral analysis and take all analyzed factors into account to opine on the appropriateness of the credit risk rating assigned to the borrower.
- As necessary, engage in discussions with Level 1 and Level 2 teams to communicate decision to downgrade risk rating of reviewed credits.
- Use Risk Based Audit principles to review governance, risk and control framework / processes, including review of credit policies and procedures, identification of process risks and controls, assessment and sample-testing of controls.
- Discuss exceptions / issues with Audit Head of Assignment and the Head of Credit Review (Director), drafts findings and engages in discussions with auditees to communicate findings.
- Understand the underlying risks applicable to the area of audit responsibilities through continuous monitoring activities. Requires strong credit risk, audit, compliance, banking, and/or product knowledge.
- Review and prepare ongoing risk assessments of the Bank’s business platforms (auditable entities).
- Maintain updated knowledge on industry developments in affected areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Complete audit recommendation validation work.
- Communicate effectively, clearly, concisely, and accurately using written and verbal communications with all levels of management.
- Incumbent will be assigned Head of Assignment responsibility frequently and must demonstrate the skills and leadership ability to be effective in the HOA role.
- Ensure BNP Paribas Inspection Generale and Bank of the West Inspection Group policies and procedures are adhered to on audit assignments.
- Work and collaborates with other team members to ensure that Inspection Group objectives are successfully attained.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable and related field - Required
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in applicable and related field, ideally MBA - Required
- License(s) or Certifications in CIA, CISA, CPA, CAMS, and/or CRCM - Preferred
- Commercial credit background and expertise in credit analysis / underwriting is a requirement. Additionally, experience in credit review and/or credit audit is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of credit and/or credit review experience is preferred, but competent candidates with solid potential but having less experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Credit expertise may include one or more of the following segments:
- Commercial and industrial lending; commercial real estate; trade finance; financial statement analysis; loan underwriting and structure; valuation; highly-leveraged transactions; accounting standards; Uniform Commercial Code; capital markets and other non-traditional credit areas including off-balance sheet credit risk; etc. (experience in 1st line underwriting and/or 2nd line credit risk management / adjudication and/or loan review is required).
- Knowledge of Bank Audit Activities
- Banking laws and regulations; region and branch banking operations; asset and liability management; treasury (including derivatives); lending (including evaluation of loan loss reserve, syndication desk, and other real estate owned); Allowance for Loan & Lease Losses); related systems and models; etc
- Experienced with Microsoft Office, (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.