This Compliance Advisory role supports the Global Credit Markets Americas platform, which includes both public side Credit Sales/Trading/Structuring desks and primary side Origination and Syndication desks.
These secondary sales and trading desks cover Investment Grade/High Yield corporate bonds, loans, and structured products (CLO’s, ABS). Also covered on this side of the information wall are the Credit sector trading desk analysts and the Credit Structuring trading desk.
On the Primary side, the role supports High Grade Origination (including Private Placements) and Syndication, Asset Finance & Securitization and Syndication (CLO’s, ABS & RMBS) and Leverage Finance/High Yield Syndicate.
The CIB Americas Compliance unit within BNPP helps to maintain compliance with applicable U.S. laws and regulations and firm/group policies/procedures. The specific Compliance Officer for this role covering the aforementioned businesses will be part of a small team responsible for providing compliance advisory coverage for the FICC Compliance team.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion. This role will be hybrid, consisting of an in office and remote working component.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates to be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Impacts division and influences peers and team
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact
- Relies on limited guidance for most complex decision making
- Is responsible for driving outcomes which have meaningful effect on team or department
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Creates trust with department leaders
- Acts in leadership capacity for large projects, processes, or programs for a team
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Able to build relationships with a mix of intermediate and senior colleagues or clients
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders
- Demonstrates the ability to persuade and influence stakeholders at the team level
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards”
- Provide regulatory and compliance advice, effective challenge and training to the businesses on rules, regulations, policies and best practices
- Research securities, derivatives, commodities and regulatory rules / rule changes and distill major points thereof into procedures and related controls
- Within GCMA, Compliance representative on the Fixed Income Capital Commitment Committee (FICC) for private-side mandates
- Compliance representative on the New Activity Validation Committee (NAC) and Transaction Approval Committee (TAC) for the respective business lines
- Establish written guidance on the appropriate implementation of regulatory requirements, laws, rules and standards through policies and procedures and other documents such as Compliance Manuals, Written Supervisory Procedures and other mediums
- Conduct training on various Compliance / regulatory topics and utilize various methods (e.g., team meetings; one-on-one; Compliance Bulletins; Annual Compliance Meetings) to educate the front office
- Track new industry initiatives and regulatory developments, and work with the business and logistics and control partners, on implementation of any controls or new requirements
- Assist on regulatory exams and related responses
- Assist on regulatory inquiries and related responses
- Work closely with compliance domains such as Market Integrity/Professional Ethics (MI/PE), Financial Security (FS), and especially Protection of Interests of Clients (PIC) on transversal, and group wide, issues and initiatives
- Interface with other control areas; in particular, the Business CCCO (Chief Conduct and Control Office) Team, as well as Legal and Control Room, in order to identify and provide advice and effective challenge with respect to compliance, reputational and operational risks
- Participate in cross-training opportunities in collaboration with the broader Compliance Team specifically an openness to supporting and learning about other global business lines
Minimum Required Qualifications
- B.A. or B.S. Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with a financial services firm in a compliance role
- Strong knowledge of U.S. securities and derivatives rules and regulations, especially those of the SEC, CFTC and FINRA
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with front office employees and senior management
- Work effectively in a team environment and foster effective relationships
- Superb oral and written communication skills
- Think analytically and provide advice based on sound judgment
- Ability to create and maintain Compliance manuals and procedures
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, as well as attention to detail
- Advanced skills and competencies to:
- Manage multiple open issues and projects at the same time and meet timely deadlines
- Interact and work closely with the business and infrastructure partners at all levels of seniority
FINRA Registrations Required:
CFTC Swap Dealer Associated Person (if yes, NFA Swaps Proficiency Program is required): N/A
SEC Security-Based Swap Dealer Associated Person: N/A
The expected starting salary range for this position in New York is between $90,000 to $125,000 annually. The actual salary may vary based upon several factors including, but not limited to, relevant skills/experience, time in role, base salary of internal peers, prior performance, business line, and geographic/office location.
About BNP Paribas:
In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both
globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate & Institutional Banking services corporate clients and institutional investors offering tailored solutions in financing, cash management, and advisory services to companies via Corporate Banking, in capital markets via Global Markets, and in securities custody and administration via Securities Services. As the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, BNP Paribas Asset Management offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors.
The bank employs nearly 14,000 people and has a presence in the country since the late 1800s in major cities including New York, Jersey City, Chesterbrook, PA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Washington, DC.
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 65 countries, with nearly 190,000 employees. The Bank offers a comprehensive range of banking, investment and financial services solutions through three main fields of activity: Retail Banking for the Bank’s retail-banking networks and several specialized businesses including BNP Paribas Personal Finance and Arval; Investment & Protection Services for savings, investment and protection solutions; and Corporate & Institutional Banking, focused on corporate and institutional clients. Based on its strong diversified and integrated model, BNP Paribas helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World - https://usa.bnpparibas/en/homepage/join-us/our-opportunities/
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.