Trust Screening Officer
• Head of Screening Team
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
• The CIB ITO Client Management Screening Team will play a critical role in the screening of third parties involved in the Corporate Platform and Global Markets activities of BNPP CIB Americas.
The successful candidate will be based in Montreal and will work on a variety of assignments undertaken by the Screening Team as they relate to the control function; travel to New York for training may be required. The candidate will be required to perform different tasks, including:
• Perform ad-hoc and daily Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) screenings
• Review and action cases generated during the screening process
• Responsible for conducting screening and searches of existing and prospective clients as well as their respective key personnel, directors and beneficial owners, against proprietary as well as external databases (i.e., World-Check, Dow Jones Watchlist, ) and the internet to uncover adverse media, OFAC sanctions risk and/or politically exposed persons.
• Identify and risk rate Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs) based on guidelines provided by Global Compliance
• Liaise with Business Officers, Compliance and Legal to obtain necessary information and follow-up
• Escalate negative news findings to senior IAG staff for investigation
• Alert senior IAG staff if documentation or identification appears to be fraudulent or suspicious
• Respond to inquiries from business partners, Client Acceptance Review Department (“CARD”), and Client On-boarding (“COB”), and Global Due Diligence Teams regarding appropriate KYC/CIP documentation from clients
• Escalate any potential hits to Compliance for further analysis
• Work closely with relevant stakeholders to ensure an efficient process and that controls are respected
The successful candidate will work closely with other Screening Team members and/or with colleagues in other teams or outside groups. The candidate may work with different levels of the organization – from interacting with IT and operations staff and colleagues, presenting to and liaising with senior managers within the organization.
The candidate will have 1 to 3 years of experience in the financial services sector, preferably with experience working in operation controls. The candidate will have delivered value on a number of assignments (working independently or in a team) demonstrating some of the following:
• Knowledge of external compliance screening databases (World-Check, Lexis/Nexis, Dow Jones Watchlist, PRIME)
• Exposure to OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) screening requirements
• Knowledge of the USA PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, 3rd European Directive, FCPA, OFAC and related AML regulations
• Demonstrate awareness of various types of corporate entities – hedge funds, asset managers, pension funds, limited, private and public companies, holding companies, trusts etc.
• Ability to comprehend and parse and/or interpret complex organizational and corporate structures for ownership percentage, subsidiary breakdown or merger activity
• Experience in a compliance function; have a control mind-set
• Ability to prioritize and work under time pressure
• Strong analytical skills, ability to gain an in depth understanding of complex processes and systems
• Team player willing to accept challenges large and small and meet them under time pressure
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills as evidenced by the ability to work effectively with representatives of a diverse range of departments
• Adaptable, able to multi-task across multiple and varying assignments
• Ability to generate and convey clear and concise status updates to management and stakeholders
• Strong Excel/ Word/ Access / PowerPoint/ presentation building skills (graphs, charts, design)
• Fluency in French and English is required and working competence in another language (Spanish, Portuguese…) preferred
• Bachelor degree required
• Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), or equivalent, a plus
It is desirable for the candidate to have exposure to investment banking products, including an understanding of their financial characteristics and markets. An appreciation of the key processes, systems and organization structure of an investment bank will also be an asset.
A recruitment policy that promotes equity and diversity:
Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
We pride ourselves in applying non-discrimination rules to all our recruitments.
We will only contact the candidates selected who meet the job requirements in terms of training and experience.
About BNP Paribas
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 195,000 employees, including more than 148,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas in Canada
In Canada, BNP Paribas is one of the dominant foreign banks in the country and is committed to building its platform even further. Since becoming the operational hub for the Group’s activities in North America in 2013, it has grown significantly to reach more than 700 employees and is expected to continue growing in the coming years. With the continued development of technology and financial fields, BNP Paribas Canada continues to attract experts with diverse backgrounds as well as young and ambitious talent from across the globe. With the international mobility and capacity that very few companies can offer, BNP Paribas prides itself in providing a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow.