Transversal Control Analyst
BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 192,000 employees – including more than 146,000 in Europe and over 4,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
The mandate of the Documentation Department is to ensure that every trade done by the FO, as well as every associated event to an existing OTC transaction that requires a confirmation, is properly confirmed with the counterparty in due time.
Our main clients are Corporates (major corporations & medium-sized companies) and financial institutions (general and specialised international banks, pension funds, fund managers, insurance companies and central banks).
We cover multiple asset classes that are: Foreign Exchange, Money Market, Equity Derivatives, Credit and Interest Rate Derivatives and Commodity trading (power, gas, oil, precious metals etc).
The Documentation Department is set to develop in the coming period of time by reaching the size of 9 teams with a total of approximately 80 team members.
The primary mission of the Transversal Control Analyst is divided into two main areas: the control area and the continuous improvement area.
The control area consists, mainly, in supervising a series of production’ operations by performing first and second level controls that are defined by the management of the Documentation Department. These controls are designed to ensure that the different teams of the Department apply correctly the operational procedures, but also to mitigate the risk of human errors on identified manual tasks (e.g. manual matching of confirmations, static data set ups in the system etc.)
In regards to the continuous improvement area, the Control Analyst also contributes to process improvements with a special focus on straight through processing (STP) and management of risk and controls. Working together with the various teams, He or she should be proactive in the identification of risk areas and propose the implementation of new controls and procedures where relevant.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a regular “four eyes” control on a selected range of manually matched transactions by the matching teams including products such as Options, Money Market, FX, NDFs and Bullion transactions;
- Perform a regular review of “matching rules instructions” set up in the electronic matching platforms;
- Perform regular reviews of static data set ups (“auto-match rules”, “no-confirmation” rules, etc.) in order to mitigate the risk of incidents and loss of money for the Bank;
- Perform controls of the legal framework (existence of Master Agreements and / or Master Confirmation Agreements) of the transactions confirmed by the Documentation Department.
- Prepare and send quarterly reporting on controls performed on behalf of BP2S entity.
- Assist the management of the Documentation Department in the identification of new areas where controls should be improved and impleme
- nted. Implement and perform newly identified controls which will contribute to a better performance of the production team;
- Assist the management of the Documentation Department in the creation of new procedures or the updating of existing ones and in the control of their application by the different teams.
- Continuous review of processes and controls ensuring high level of risk management and control of risk;
- Daily report through ORUS of the identified risk areas to be received by the Top Management;
- Proactively contribute to improve team effectiveness through Continuous Improvement approach for the department;
- Maintain effective working relationships with Front office Trading and Sales, Legal, Compliance, IT and other Operational areas in Paris, Montreal or Singapore and globally through daily interactions by phone, emails and skype;
- Attending trainings such as Client Focus, Financial Markets, VBA and Excel;
- Improvement of the current macros used by the team, and creation of new ones, to be used to reduMce the time and the risk of error;
- Master Degree in Finance
- Fluent in English (both oral and written communication)
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Operations
- Excellent understanding of OTC derivatives including trade life cycle is a plus
- Experience of ISDA definitions and Master Agreements
- Excel Skills (intermediate)
- Excellent numerical skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize workloads and use a proactive approach to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Be driven, enthusiastic and dynamic in search of improving processes, controls & procedures
- Good synthesis skills
- Availability for a training period abroad (up to 3 months)
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.