At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
This is a senior level underwriting position with management responsibilities acting as team leader in the supervision of other credit product officers, credit analyst and/or support staff reporting to the Division Credit Manager. As a seasoned leader, the incumbent will have exemplary underwriting skills, providing timely, consistent and well thought out credit decisions while taking personal responsibility for managing the credit needs of a portfolio of commercial banking relationships with the ability to break down a complex transaction, clearly and concisely explain and mitigate the key issues, identify alternative solutions, and recommend the best solution that meets both the customer's and bank's needs in a time sensitive manner. As a credit approver, the incumbent will confidently exercise delegation authority while clearly articulating the reasoning behind the credit decision. Works in partnership with banking product partners to analyze, structure, risk rate, document, recommend and/or approve credit exposures resulting from loans and other commercial banking products. Responsible for the on-going monitoring and risk management of an assigned portfolio of credits.
Essential Job Functions
- Will provided ongoing coaching and support to other Credit Product Officers and train less-experienced credit staff.
- Will drive efficiency in the credit process and proactively manage new business and existing customer deal flow within the credit team to assure efficiency in transaction processing time to approval.
- Has authority to approve loans within delegated signing authority level; recommends to higher level of authority if appropriate and/or recommends loans for denial. Ensure all credit exposures are approved at the appropriate level and/or within assigned delegation. Will oversee credit and underwriting activities of other officers to ensure that current and potential customers are properly analyzed to minimize credit losses.
- For complex customers, develop a well-informed and balanced view of the business, financial and competitive risks faced by a company, sector, and industry. Provide a well-researched and thoughtful risk assessment of each assigned client; in addition to developing alternative credit solutions to meet both bank and customer's need on an ongoing basis. Ensures development and preparation of well thought out and effective credit write-ups for presentation that complies to bank policies and ensures exceptions are properly reported.
- Conducts projection spreads, analysis and summary, covenant analysis and commitment summary for new and existing customers.
- Actively participates in customer meetings and assists in the determination of client needs. Will assist in negotiating loan documentation. Interacts with internal bank partners regarding credit analysis, risk mitigation and developing innovative credit solutions to meet customer's credit needs.
- Ensure risk ratings are accurate and reflect our current forward-looking view of the customer.
- Capacity to proactively identify deteriorating credit solutions and manage the process through strong communication skills with both the client and internal business partners. Directly or through Credit Team, monitors, tracks and manages the credit portfolio with the goal of minimizing credit losses and maintaining compliance with credit review policy while keeping the Division Credit Manager current on any credit issues that require attention.
Other Job Duties
- May act as a specialist for the Bank in specific industry. Keeps current on all economic and other issues impacting industry. Prepares and updates reports as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires broad management knowledge to lead project teams in one department.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Requires 10-12 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Finance
Annual Hiring Range/Hourly Rate:
$152,000 - $196,000
The base salary opportunity can vary based on candidate’s geographic location, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. In addition to base salary, this position is eligible for annual incentives.
To protect the health and safety of our employees and customers, Bank of the West may require all U.S. employees to provide proof of their vaccination status, and employees who are not fully vaccinated may be required to undergo regular testing.
Benefits: Visit https://www.bankofthewest.com/about-us/careers/benefits.html for benefits information.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.