Tax Audit, Mgr Sr
Job Description Summary
Responsible for managing the Company's federal, state and local tax audit function. Secondary responsibilities include substantial participation in corporate income tax reporting function (regulatory compliance and tax provision).
Essential Job Functions
- Manages federal, state and local tax audits, including joint participation with east coast colleagues with respect to consolidated federal and combined state filings.
- Plans and structures audit processes and meets with auditors to present information and defend tax positions.
- Responds to inquiries, information requests and notices from taxing authorities.
- Writes protests and handles administrative proceedings as appropriate.
- Manages outside advisors working on audit matters including outside counsel, accounting firms and other experts.
- Develops and implements proactive audit defense including review of current and proposed tax positions; review of key audit defense documentation (“self-audit”) , and review of company record retention policy and practices.
- Communicates audit issues and potential tax adjustments to the Tax Department and other business partners.
- Is a resource to respond to internal inquiries about the potential tax implication of a proposed or actual transaction or event.
- Assists with the preparation/review of consolidated/combined income tax returns, including the federal and state tax return work papers
- Participates in FAS 109/FIN48 income tax accounting process, control assessment and review to support tax accounting requirements.
Other Job Duties
- Is the lead with respect to one-off items such as income tax accounting methods and apportionment. Oversees a standard of tax return documentation which is “audit ready”.
- Manages, trains, and develops tax staff. Responsibilities include providing performance reviews and providing timely feedback.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including a back-up role for other tax personnel.
- Requires broad management knowledge to lead project teams in one department.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Requires 10-12 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Masters in tax - preferred
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state income taxation.
- Working knowledge of international tax issues (specifically relating to US tax reporting).
- Working knowledge of ASC 740, FIN 48 and IFRS.
- Analytical and research skills, including the ability to determine level of risk concerning an actual or proposed transaction.
- Compile statistics. Compose letters/memos.
- Coordinate meetings.
- Negotiation skills.
- Planning and organizing.
- Presentation skills.
- Research information and experience with internet-based tax research software.
- Excellent teaching and people development skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- OneSource tax software processing skills to meet the job requirements relating to tax compliance and tax provision
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.