At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.Position Summary
We are currently seeking qualified talent to be responsible for quantitative models support and underlie many of the most important processes and decision-making functions at Bank of the West, including credit review, risk forecasting, and asset/liability management. To manage this risk, the Bank needs to validate periodically over 100 models, for risk management and regulatory compliance purposes. Responsible for independently conducting quantitative analytics and complex modeling projects. Validates various models built to assess and quantify broad financial risk, credit risk, market risk, operational risk, interest rate risk and other complex economic capital and stress testing models. Examines conceptual soundness of models being validated. Reviews and effectively challenges the underlying assumptions, theory, empirical evidence, limitations of the model being validated. Conducts thorough testing and provides critical review of conceptual and performance aspects of the model. Writes model validation reports describing the results of validation analyses. Interfaces with model stakeholders throughout validation process regulators and internal audit to discuss justification and reasoning behind validation findings. This is the most senior level in the Model Validation Analyst job family.In this role you will:
Other Job Duties
- Identify sources of model risk. Thoroughly and comprehensively review all model components and developmental evidence. Responsible for conducting quantitative analytics and complex modeling projects.
- Presents work through formal validation reports, as well as through presentation to model owners and senior management. Clearly and concisely document and communicate validation findings.
- Present and effectively support findings to model developers, users and senior management. Develop and prioritize constructive recommendations for model changes or enhancements. Communicates data quality and completeness concerns to model owners.
- Contribute to the development and promotion of effective model development, use and validation practices within the Bank. Develop automated solutions to routine validations in order to gain efficiencies in the validation process.
- Build strong working relationships with key model stakeholders, in particular model developers and users. Facilitate communication between model validation team and other stakeholder, including model owner.
- Maintain a detailed and comprehensive record of each validation project through work papers and other project artifacts
- Work effectively as a team member with other quantitative analysts at the company, as well as with external consultants.
- Keep abreast with developments in quantitative risk management and industry best practices in model validation.
- Work effectively either independently or as part of a team.
- Manage time and resources in a dynamic multi-task environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have deep knowledge of project management.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Quantitative field
- Master's Degree Quantitative field or MBA with quantitative focus
- PhD preferred (PhD training can substitute for work experience)
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Experience with loss forecasting, stress testing, credit score cards, Basel II.
- Strong quantitative skills in such areas as econometrics, statistics, hazard modeling, and time series analysis.
- Experience working with large data sets.
- SAS experience desirable.
- Strong knowledge of bank products, processes and business practices.
- Familiarity with leading model risk management practices and applicable regulatory guidance.
- Ability to effectively summarize and present validation findings to senior management.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-TempeJob Type: Full-timeJob: Accounting Finance