At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.Job Description Summary
Responsible for assisting manager in producing monthly unit profitability reporting on a fully allocated basis as well as managing the budgeting and forecasting process for the bank. This includes the annual expense and capital budget process, the monthly reporting and monitoring of the actual and budget results and capital expenditures, and monthly forecasting for the total bank.Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
- Monitors bank budget in accordance with established guidelines and practices.
- Supervises preparation of the monthly unit profitability reports.
- Performs monthly review and evaluation of actual financial performance compared to budget and prior year of the total bank and individual business units. May partner with Divisions within the Business Unit in support of FP&A activities.
- Supervises allocation of support and overhead expenses to all business units.
- Ensures the integration of the budgeting and planning data and with general ledger for monthly reporting of actual against budget.
- Supervises the development and maintenance of capital expenditure and salary planning templates that are integrated with the annual budgeting process.
- Implements and manages phases of the annual budgeting process assuring accuracy of communications to all affected Division/Department Heads.
- Leads or participates in system implementation and process improvement projects; e.g. implementation of planning and cost allocation modules of Oracle’s System 9 product (essbase).
- Assists with the integration of acquired entities into the unit profitability reporting and budgeting processes.
- Supervises employees directly including selection, development and performance management.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have deep knowledge of project management.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Complete knowledge of financial analysis and principles of economics of financial and cost accounting.
- Working knowledge of funds transfer pricing principles.
- Complete knowledge of financial institution balance sheet, profit and loss and analysis techniques Working knowledge of GAAP accounting issues as they relate to the banking industry.
- Five + years of experience in banking/financial services industry preferred Proven judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results and analysis Demonstrated ability to develop solutions to highly complex and diverse analytical problems which requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factor Ability to work effectively with diverse teams, executives, managers and subject matter experts.
- Ability to problem solve and prioritize tasks in a fast paced environment Administrative/Technical Skills Analytical and research Bank product and service knowledge Compile Statistics Compose letters/memos Personal computer skills (good knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint) Knowledge of Hyperion & Essbase a plus Advanced time Management and organizational leadership skills coordinating and leading effective meetings Strong professional communication and presentation skills Sr Lead Financial Analyst- Budget & Forecasting Process Responsible for the critical assessment of Bank’s Budget and Forecast Reporting Process.
- Responsible for coordinating across the bank’s divisions to ensure that forecasted results are relevant and accurate, and produced within requisite deadlines.
- Perform individual analysis to evaluate and challenge projected data.
- Serve as a subject-matter expertise of the bank’s financial projections and systems, and form a network of relationships across the bank.
- Takes a lead role in preparation of Bank’s projected financial statements for budget, forecast and strategic plan Performs detailed line item trend analysis on forecast and budget Coordinates tracking of any one-off or top-side adjustments Provides regular updates on forecasted data movements within planning system Documents processes and procedures to become subject matter expert on given support systems and/or business flows.
- Functions as key finance liaison for at least one major profit group within the Bank in this role.
- May lead or assist in the development and coordination of enterprise-wide planning calendar build-out in support of forward-looking projections.
- Analyzes and interprets financial data and compiles statistical reports on current financial developments, financial policies and plans, and significant organizational developments.
- Assists with the integration of initiatives and new entities into budgeting processes.
- May lead or assist in the development and implementation of internal Corporate FP&A and/or Line of Business process improvement and enhancement projects.
- Provides training and guidance to less-experienced staff and internal customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Sr Lead Financial Analyst- Planning & Reporting Responsible for providing management reporting and analysis to key stakeholders within the bank.
- Ensures meaningful and relevant information while guaranteeing data integrity and accuracy.
- Drives the FP&A feedback loop taking into consideration actuals, planning, reporting, analysis and improved assumptions for executive management decision making.
- Provide insights into reports and develop and provide high quality presentation to executives.
- Provide direct support to the Planning and Reporting SVP as it pertains to the following: Management reporting to internal consumers as well as board of directors.
- Ensure meaningful and relevant information while guaranteeing data integrity and accuracy Provide strategic insight in the review of the Bank’s performance, including the performance of individual business lines, support divisions, and Treasury Full ownership of ad-hoc FP&A projects or analysis with a focus on end-to-end development Provide secondary review of all projected financials with a particular focus on centrally planned items and Holding Company expenses Lead preparation of budget and quarterly forecast presentation materials to executive management Proactively communicate with management on potential reporting issues and propose solutions and alternatives Drive the review of bank’s monthly results, comparing forecast, budget, and prior period results.
- Identify and research anomalies and trends in data that require investigation by the Finance team Responsible for working with business lines to understand their Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and to incorporate those drivers into the profitability analysis of the Bank Team with the business, development team and technology on an ongoing basis to enhance the efficiency, accuracy, and control of reporting process Intersect with Budget and Forecast team in review of consolidated projections.
- Identify and challenge any inconsistent assumptions Coordinate monthly production calendar for corporate and business partners Perform other duties as assigned.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-California-San RamonJob Type: Full-timeJob: Accounting Finance