Regulatory Reporting- Sr Lead Policy Officer
At Bank of the West, our people
are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can
make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship
programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for
sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is
taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and
strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting
the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank
for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help
our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for acting as a gatekeeper for product and topic knowledge across Business Line or Group by staying current and providing interpretive guidance on new and evolving reporting rules, setting related policy and reinforcing controls with report owners. Serve as the primary point of contact for all questions and issues related to application and interpretation of regulatory and financial reporting rules. Responsible for developing best practices through engaging in a collaborative approach, which builds trust and buy in with key stakeholders. Provides advisory support as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Act as a gatekeeper for product / topic knowledge
across Business Line or Group
o Maintain / keep abreast of changes in regulations and social climate in order to assess the need for update to policy and practices
o Analyze trends, gain insights to recommend changes in practices as part of continuous monitoring
o Stay current on new products
o Provide interpretive guidance when owners, production or business units have questions
- Analyze and interpret new rules and set strategy for
related practices and procedures
o Work with report owners and production group to ensure proper implementation
o Consult with appropriate stakeholders to consider and address potential implications
o Set strategy for developing and communicating new rules, practices and procedures to team members and managers
o Partner with legal and accounting policy teams as needed to ensure policies and practices are in compliance with applicable federal and state and local laws and regulations
- Develop, implement, and communicate regulatory reporting policies, guidelines and procedures to business partners
o Provide targeted training to various stakeholders, and provide updated content for annual compliance training
o Counsel, educate, and provide consultation on policies, rules and practices
- Reinforce controls with report owners through validation and review of reports
- Provide subject matter expertise to other stakeholders during remediation of examination / audit findings, MRAs and MRIAs when the cause was related to a misinterpretation of a reporting rule.
Other Job Duties
- Manage projects, identify key issues and assist the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in similar role in a large and complex financial company
- Subject matter expertise in bank regulatory reporting with experience in leading and implementing regulatory changes in large / complex organization
- 10+ years of relevant experience in Finance and Accounting
- Extensive knowledge of financial products (e.g., securities, derivatives, loans, deposits, SLAB, etc.) and bank holding company financial reporting required
- Bachelor's Degree Accounting
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically
obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have
deep knowledge of project management.
Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and administrative skills and a strong understanding of the communication avenues available to deliver this information
- Ability to take complex topics and make them simple and practical for people to understand
- Ability to recommend and or apply appropriate action based on new rule / policy/procedure and or business product
- Ability to analyze data, trends and insights into root cause analysis and make recommendations based on data
- Ability to handle high-priority demands, prioritizing workload and multiple responsibilities against strict deadlines
- Self-motivated individual with strong analytical skills and able to adapt to a complex technology environment
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.