Sr Compliance Officer
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
This is a 2nd Line of Defense Compliance position that is responsible for partnering with Enterprise Business Units and 1st LOD Controls and Governance teams, advising, monitoring and challenging core sub function compliance program components; ensuring compliance with regulatory risks; managing risk in a transparent manner; and monitoring the adequacy of controls.
Essential Job Functions
- Advises and guides Enterprise Business Units on sub function regulatory, policy, and compliance process requirements for compliance with new or existing regulations and best practices.
- Advises management on risk assessment processes and provides guidance in design and development of processes and controls to manage risks.
- Partners with business line team members to ensure timely identification, mitigation, resolution and reporting/escalation of existing and emerging compliance risks and issues.
- Provides expertise, oversight, guidance, and advices on sub function regulatory requirements that affect the Enterprise Business Units and oversees the Business Unit compliance implementation efforts.
- Advises and consults on proposed new products, services, and initiatives with regard to compliance sub function obligations and corresponding compliance risks, and mitigating controls. Reviews/identifies regulatory impact, and approves recommended controls.
- Advises Enterprise Business Units on sub function compliance requirements for customer facing communications materials and provides review and approval of materials.
- Advises on the design of the Enterprise Business Lines monitoring processes, monitors and challenges execution of monitoring; assesses and identifies weaknesses, and escalates issues as appropriate.
- Conducts periodic risk-based monitoring to ensure that key sub function compliance processes in the Enterprise Business Lines are conducted in a timely and well-controlled fashion and provides reports as appropriate.
- Provides input in design of business management information (MI) reporting to incorporate sub function compliance risk metrics, monitors metrics and escalates matters as appropriate.
- Reviews and advises on Enterprise Business Lines sub function compliance-related training materials, assignments, and delivery.
- Advises/provides recommendations on complaint handling remediation and responses. Analyzes customer sub function complaint data to determine control deficiencies and possible corrective action required. Monitors complaints reporting for trends related to regulatory issues.
- Assists in preparation for regulatory examinations, advises on remediation and Action Plan design to address regulatory finding and advises on timely remediation efforts of the regulatory issues.
- Collaborates across the Compliance community to synthesize and communicate a comprehensive view of compliance risk to management, assists in the implementation of robust sub function compliance monitoring/surveillance programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prior experience working with regulatory agencies, including OCC, FDIC, CFPB, SEC, MSRB, FINRA or state agencies.
- P4 - 7 yrs compliance, risk, internal audit, or regulatory experience in the banking industry
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, including the ability to work effectively with others at all levels across the organization
- Strong knowledge of general banking with an understanding of deposit, lending and alternative investment products
- Strong knowledge of assigned laws and regulations.
- Strong interpersonal skills for coordination/liaison functions.
- Strong writing skills for composition of reports.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.