Division Credit Manager, Group Manager - SME Vertical & New Money Team
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members – they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Small & Medium Enterprises, Commercial Banking, Personal Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for managing credit underwriting and portfolio management for the Small & Medium Enterprises Group; being the lead and driving force in all credit related matters. Reports to the Head of SME Credit and works closely with the relevant Coverage and Vertical Division Executive Managers. With the Head of Credit and the Coverage Division Executive Manager, helps define the lending strategies and parameters of the Division. Leads a team of seven direct reports and total team of 40, comprised of senior managers and underwriters responsible for all aspects of financial analysis, loan structuring, approval, and loan portfolio monitoring.
As a member of the SME Credit leadership team, leads and/or participates in SME projects to improve client satisfaction, process efficiency and employee engagement.
·Proactively recommends and ensures implementation of underwriting strategies, standards, analyses, relevant processes and procedures to maintain acceptable levels of risk and return consistent with the business strategies and credit priorities of the Bank.
· Exercises authority to approve loans within delegated signing authority level and consistent with the Bank’s risk appetite; recommends and presents to higher level of authority, if appropriate.
·Engages with relationship teams to pre-screen new loan opportunities. Facilitates new business development; directs resources to achieve the bank’s strategic priorities.
·Assists the Coverage Division Executive Manager with the leadership and management of the Division, including strategic and tactical planning and budgeting.
·Represents the Bank as appropriate in its relationships with major customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, professional societies and community groups.
· Builds and engages a talented team of underwriters and managers; promotes a performance driven culture including objective setting, coaching, performance reviews, training and career planning.
·Responsible for achieving budgeted financial metrics for loan balances, production and margin.
· Contributes to SME Credit and SME initiatives focused on client satisfaction, process efficiency and employee engagement.
Experience and Skills
· 15+ years of commercial credit-related experience
· Change agent with full understanding of E2E transformation efforts organizationally, simplifying loan policies and procedures and technology.
· Requires broad management and leadership experience and skills to lead teams in multiple job areas and locations.
· Extensive knowledge of commercial lending, sales, bank products and financial service needs of small & medium enterprises.
· Fully aware of risk/return implications and leading teams focused on “true risk”
· Strong credit acumen
· Excellent communication skills
· Well-developed negotiation skills
· Ability to plan and organize events and meetings
· Effective project management and collaboration skills
· Experience recruiting, coaching and leading teams
· Experience with SBA, Agriculture, Practice Finance, Construction, PacRim businesses is helpful but not necessary.
· Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Business or related degree
· Master’s/Advanced Degree preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran. Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.