At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for overall development, performance, and accountability of production teams supporting Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) banking activities. This position influences retail banking teams, remote and coverage relationship mangers in achieving profitability, sales, customer experience, compliance, and growth objectives within the SME portfolio managed in the retail channel. Responsible for overall strategic execution planning and performance accountability in all of the following channels within the SME portfolio: Business development, customer retention, customer experience, and service quality. Ensures expansion and retention of the SME customer base and development of customer relationships through cross-selling retail and small business banking products in accordance with secured and unsecured lending limits, laws and regulations, corporate policies and procedures, and bank objectives.
This role will drive growth strategies in local markets influencing leadership, sales managers, and bankers to drive specific SME strategies. In addition, this role will be responsible for developing communication strategies to execute in growth and retention initiatives.
Essential Job Functions
· Coordinates with retail branch banking offices, which include sales, service and operations staff in support of SME strategies.
· Implements and reinforces policies and procedures to comply with fundamental business and credit priorities of the bank.
· Analyzes pertinent financial and credit data where appropriate; has authority to approve overdrafts and/or appeal loans within signing authority level. Leads annual budget review process for division.
· Represents the bank as appropriate in its relationships with major customers, the local community, suppliers, competitors, professional societies, and similar groups.
· Obtains and evaluates general and specific business conditions, and keeps top management advised on such matters.
· Makes recommendations regarding the bank’s product and market coverage in collaboration with research, product development, marketing, pricing, and operational activities. Leads with a well-established collaboration model, high level engagement and strong relationships in conjunction with Market Partners – making decisions that are considerate of partners’ success.
· Assumes responsibility for carrying out operations in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations, securing professional counsel when necessary.
· Influences partner relationships and represent division-engagement, GPS, NPS, and market view/collaboration model.
Other Job Duties
· Supports leaders and officers in developing new account relationships. May participate directly in the sales effort to attract, retain and grow relationships.
· Maintains knowledge and understanding of retail compliance controls, risk management, and loss prevention.
· Reinforces the bank’s mission, vision and values by serving as a culture agent, motivating employees to achieve higher standards and promoting a commitment to excellence in service, sales, knowledge/learning, and technology-driven products and processes.
· Promotes community involvement and serves in the communities serviced by the region. Leverage skills by Leading a non-profit or community entity.
· Prepares short and long-range business plans. Monitors progress.
· Gathers market data so that market opportunities may be capitalized on as they occur and the effects of competitive activity are minimized.
· Ensures that the SMEs operating procedures are in compliance with the approved policies and procedures of the bank and with applicable regulations.
· May participate in civic, community, and business functions/groups to ensure a positive image for the bank within the designated marketplace. Ensures compliance with CRA outreach program.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project teams multiple job areas.
- Strong working knowledge of Retail Banking business infrastructure and senior level credibility within Bank of the West production leadership teams in Retail, Remote RM, and Coverage RM channels.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Requires 12 - 15 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Requires 5 – 7 years of Sales Management experience.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to attract and retain top talent
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Collaborative professional skills that advance a shared and partnered approach to meeting objectives
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Customer experience excellence
- Ability to manage complex HR issues
- Ability to create and retain highly engaged team
- Able to embrace and deliver on the strategic mission of the bank
- Able to be a collaborative partner with other bank areas and business lines Business travel as required
- Demonstrated ability to lead sales activities, manage processes, budget
- Provide ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members
- Knowledge and understanding of retail compliance controls, risk management, and loss prevention
- Reinforces the bank’s mission, vision and values by serving as a culture agent, motivating employees to achieve higher standards and promoting a commitment to excellence in service, sales, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge/learning, and technology-driven products and processes
- Promotes community involvement and serves in the communities serviced by the region.
- Organizational and time management skills, ability to multi-task Computer literacy/proficiency in a windows operation system