Senior Financial Controls & Governance Officer, First Line of Defense
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Key role within our Operations team to be part of building a program that supports the lines of business in recognizing and mitigating risk to prevent loss and focus on continuous improvement.
To be successful in this role you will have to partner with the lines of business to understand the day to day, along with compliance and risk challenges, in order to understand and assist with resolutions.
Partner with compliance and risk to align on processes, decrease redundancies and increase efficiencies.
Partner closely with all back office operations for Commercial Lending, Branch Support, ACH, Wires, Treasury Operation and Transaction Processing.
Empower our business lines to recognize risk and partner with them to mitigate risk to prevent loss.
Oversee monitoring activities as required and ensures activities are performed accurately, thoroughly, and in accordance with dynamic regulatory, operational risk requirements.
Provide Financial Security (OFAC Sanctions) advisory services and support to lines of business.
Coordinate and support business lines in implementing any Compliance, Operational Risk and Permanent Control assessment, program or initiative.
Work with the assigned business lines affected by changing laws, regulations or policies to ensure that appropriate changes are implemented.
Support business lines to respond to Regulatory / Audit inquiries and coordinate evidence gathering.
Coordinate the risks identification, gap analysis, remediation, action plan and follow up.
Coordinate the production and distribution of processes, procedures/policies and make sure of their compliance with Second line of defense requirements and BNP Paribas, our parent company, as well.
To coordinate the performance of controls and, if required, to perform testing.
To identify and report/escalation alerts on issues related to Compliance, Operational Risk and Permanent Control.
To work in close collaboration / liaise with Compliance, Operation Control and Audit team – and contribute to First Line of Defense governance structure.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in Operations First Line, Compliance, Risk or Regulatory Relations in a banking environment.
- Knowledge of commercial loan operations, including operational and regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of Letters of Credit legal implications as well as regulatory guidelines ensures that the Letters of Credit document is accurate and compliant.
- Knowledge of Financial Security with the focus on Sanctions (OFAC) regulatory compliance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field is preferred.
- Preferred experience in being a hands on partner in first line of defense, quality assurance, continuous process improvement, gap analysis, remediation, risk mitigation & resolution, compliance and risk methodologies, assessments and/or control framework.
- Problem solving skills as well as flexibility and adaptability
- Critical thinking and the ability to "connect the dots" of multiple data points across multiple business units to develop a comprehensive assessment of compliance risk.
- Strong, effective interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and listening)
- Collaborative approach with strong relationship building and partnership skills.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.