At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
With minimal supervision, participates and leads in the design, engineering, development, testing, implementation, operation and maintenance of network infrastructure devices such as, servers, storage, routers, switches, firewalls, proxies and other related technologies in a virtualized enterprise environment. Maintains technical quality in operating environments through monitoring and implementation of solutions. Works independently in a fast paced environment on issues of the highest complexity.
The Senior Firewall Engineer will support the Production Security needs of the business in order to continually support and improve the controls and security posture within our Information Technology environment. The Senior Firewall Engineer provides subject matter expertise inside the Production Security Program such as protocols, processes, governance, and is responsible for all aspects within assigned Production Security Program functions.
- Interface with requestors to capture and document explicit business, functional, and technical requirements to determine approval of policy changes
- Capture new requests as tickets, and document progress towards fulfillment in the ticket.
- Perform quarterly and annual firewall policy reviews
- Work independently under the direction of management
- Provide thought leadership for technical and process improvements
- Solves a range of problems using existing process and solutions
- Successfully deliver the right results on initiatives in a timely and effective manner
- Mitigate risk within assigned assets, technologies or platforms
- Understand and apply Production Security policies, standards, and processes to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information
- Support assigned security technologies in accordance with security policies and standards
- Provide assistance with other deployed security technologies and support team members
- Support regulatory examinations and internal audits as needed
- Ability to understand potential cyber threats and respond appropriately across all IT services, technologies and processes
- Use Tufin or Firemon to manage security policies and building automation into the workflow
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in information security or related field
- 5+ years of applicable experience
- Solid foundation in networking concepts, protocols/ports and their real world application
- Understanding of industry leading security technologies or infrastructure systems in a complex technical IT operations environment
- Thorough understanding of Checkpoint or Fortinet firewall policy
- Tufin or Firemon policy orchestration
- Ability to perform firewall reviews and recommend remediation and optimization
- Ability to clearly relay technical knowledge to both technical and non-technical people, written and verbally
Other Job Duties
- Prepares reports and follow-up and evaluates results.
- Detailed knowledge of regulatory environment and compliance related issues.
- Interfaces with vendors and servicing agents to obtain equipment and services.
- Advanced knowledge of datacenter design and operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires deep knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Typically viewed as a specialist within discipline.
- May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Requires 7 years minimum prior relevant experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.