BNP Paribas Asset Management is the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, one of the world’s foremost financial institutions, and offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors. It has a broad range of skills in four investment divisions: Equities, Fixed Income, Private Debt & Real Assets, and Multi-Asset, Quantitative and Solutions (MAQS). Sustainability is at the heart of BNP Paribas Asset Management’s strategy and investment decision-making process, making an active contribution to energy transition, environmental protection and the promotion of equal opportunity and inclusive growth. Its aim is to achieve long-term sustainable investment returns for its clients. BNP Paribas Asset Management has assets under management of $500 billion (as of June 30, 2022), with more than 500 investment professionals and almost 500 client servicing specialists, serving individual, corporate and institutional clients in 67 countries.
We have an excellent career opportunity for a Senior Equity Research Analyst (Consumer Sector) to join the US & Global Thematic Equity team in our Boston office. This person will be responsible for generating alpha by providing fundamental research and specific recommendations within the consumer sector, supporting the BNP Paribas Consumer Innovators Fund as well as US diversified strategies (small, mid, and large cap). Specific experience in the consumer sector is preferred. The Senior Equity Research Analyst will report to the Head of the US Equity Team, but will also work closely and collaborate with senior portfolio managers for the US diversified funds.
- Conduct industry and stock research within the consumer sector, to identify stock ideas. Collect and interpret consumer trends, market, digital technology and company information. Build expertise in assigned industries over time.
- Research, write, and present comprehensive investment theses including:
- Industry and company analysis, by assessing management quality, business model, market position, and competitive landscape;
- Financial modeling and analysis, by identifying key leverage factors, conducting scenario analysis and setting target price; and
- Risk assessment incorporating financial and ESG (environmental, social, and governance) factors.
- Monitor portfolio holdings in assigned industries. Maintain updated financial models and price targets. Recommend add/ trim trades as appropriate based on target price and market conditions.
- Share investment research and ideas with all portfolio managers within the US & Global Thematic Equity Team and, as appropriate, with the broader Fundamental Active Equity group within BNPP Asset Management.
- Participate in our team-based decision making process for stock selection across all sectors.
- Work efficiently within, and provide input to improve, the existing investment process.
- Meet with companies and attend industry and investment conferences.
- Support the Sales team when required, through participation in client meetings and other activities.
Role Requirements: Qualifications and Experience
- A positive spirit, embracing the team’s investment philosophy and process and actively portraying a positive and unified team ethos.
- Minimum 7 years of experience conducting fundamental equity research within the consumer sector.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification and/or MBA strongly preferred; CPA or finance/ accounting degree can substitute.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write, and present comprehensive investment theses, and experience of contributing to a team-based approach to portfolio management.
- Ability to build financial models in Excel; experience with FactSet preferred.
- Experience integrating ESG criteria is preferred.
- Working within (and contributing to) a diverse and multi-cultural team, across multiple locations.
- Knowledge of leading front office enterprise and portfolio management tools, specifically Aladdin and FactSet.
Essential Skills/Competencies: (Technical/Behavioral/Leadership)
- Analytical Skills: Identifies all aspects of a subject and examines them in a critical way to construct a synthesized point of view. Individual is driven by the desire to know more about things, people or events.
- Accuracy: Constantly attentive to the precision and thoroughness of the information sent and to the quality of the work product; ensures that errors are minimized.
- Takes initiative: Works proactively and independently, implementing work processes, ideas and solutions, including in situations where information is ambiguous.
- Organizational Skills: Sets priorities, plans actions and methodically monitors their progress by coordinating activities and resources in the best way possible.
- Results Driven: Seeks to achieve the objectives set within the defined timeframe, by acting with tenacity and by balancing costs and benefits. Continuously seeks optimum performance.
- Communication Skills: Expresses messages, both orally and in writing, in an effective, organized way, which is appropriate to the audience being addressed.
- Teamwork: Knows how to work in a team and/or across teams, acts bearing common interests and respect for fellow team members.
- Client Focus: Does everything possible to achieve internal or external customer satisfaction by identifying the clients’ needs and providing them with the appropriate solution taking into account the company’s ethics and interests.
- Integrity: Understands and adheres to the highest standards of ethical conduct, respects the company’s rules and values.
Physical presence in BNPP AM’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP AM requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion. This is a hybrid role.
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.