Senior Employee Relations ADA Specialist
We celebrate a strong diverse team-oriented culture rich in collaboration, partnership and career advancement. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, career growth, and an immediate 6% match on our 401K plan and 100% vesting on day 1.
Job Description Summary
The Sr. Lead Employee Relations Partner supports company-wide strategies to enable decisions that are consistent with Company policies, practices and values while enhancing the Employee Experience during critical moments in the life cycle of the employment relationship. The Sr. Lead Employee Relations Partner is a key member of a broader Employee Relations and Human Resources team responsible for prompt thorough, and objective investigation of escalated team member concerns. Additionally, the Sr. Lead Employee Relations Partner is responsible for administering proactive programs, procedures and plans related to complex employee relations activities including, but not limited to, performance management, policy interpretation, and resolving workplace conflict.
While consulting and guiding managers, the role of the Sr. Lead Employee Relations Partner is to advise in a way that builds manager capability to lead their team according to the core values and principles of the Company. By utilizing an innovative and proactive approach, the Sr. Lead Employee Relations Partner will offer solutions and recommendations to Business Leaders when root causes of ER related trends are identified.
Essential Job Functions
- Engages as a trusted partner and subject matter expert with employees and managers on work related issues including, but not limited to, performance management, workplace concerns, requests for reasonable accommodation (ADA), wage and hour concerns, complex labor law matters and involuntary terminations. Provides consultation, guidance and coaching to managers so they can appropriately address employee behavior and performance concerns based on policy/procedure, past action, and business practice. Excellent problem solving capabilities and responsive to employee level concerns.
- Conducts investigations for a wide variety of team member complaints; as well as, manage other complex, high risk, or sensitive ER cases to include gathering and analyzing evidence and applying relevant laws, policies and practices to reach conclusions. These cases may include, but are not limited to, complaints of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, workplace violence, whistleblower, and other violations of rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Consults, intakes, counsels and advises on Employee Relations matters via email, team member service line and other channels. Prepares and maintains timely and thorough documentation within the case management system including intake and investigation notes, supporting documentation, final reports, and/or evidence of action taken.
- Builds and leverages inclusive and collaborative relationships with the Employee Relations team and business partners, including HR Business Partners, Compensation, Benefits, Compliance, Talent Acquisition, Learning and Development, Corporate Security, Legal, and other internal partners to develop proactive strategies, solutions, programs and policies.
- Participates in, and possibly leads, projects that support ER, HR, and/or Company goals and objectives.
- Ability to identify trends, analyze data, and offer solutions and recommendations by applying policies, past/best practices, or through a root cause analysis.
- Maintains and protects confidential information and data with great discretion, judgement, and professionalism.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently in a dynamic and fast paced environment through multi-tasking and navigating priorities.
- Proficient communicator that listens and is able to influence and convey opinions and recommendations, both verbally and in writing; ability to maintain neutrality and a calm demeanor in tense/conflict-ridden situations
- Drives a culture of continuous learning that support the Company’s goals and objectives; including content development, preparation, and facilitation of training.
- Aligns with HR Business Partners to provide counsel and guidance for department re-organizations or other strategic initiatives
- Participates in various steering committees or pilot programs in an ever changing environment.
- Provides senior level guidance to Employee Relations team members and/or act as a mentor to other ER/HR team members.
- Manage all cases related to ADA, escalated LOA matters and personal LOA's through the use of a case management system.
- Facilitate the return to work process.
- Provide information and support to employees that request a reasonable accommodation under the ADA.
- Operate as the expert and advocate for the accomodation process by providing ongoing consultation and support with focus on problem solving with creative solutions.
- Monitoring of FMLA status to proactively engage in interactive dialouge once FMLA has been exhausted and additional LOA time is requested.
- Provide consultation and training to managers related to ADA, FMLA and other applicable topics.
- Act as the SME for the Employee Relations team on ADA and other relevant legal changes and provide ongoing consultation and training to HR partners.
- Partners with Employee Relations on the fitness for duty process.
- 10 years HR Capacity with the bulk of experience in Employee/Labor Relations, or as an HR Business Partner with Employee Relations focus. Experience including directly managing complex/sensitive workplace investigations and issues.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Strong knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations as well as current and progressive HR practices.
- Great track record of decision-making capacity, analysis, and prior experience adding value to an organization from an HR perspective.
- Ability to listen but also to persuasively communicate opinion and recommendations while building and maintaining good relationships at all levels of an organization
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.