Manages, directs, mentors, trains and evaluates assigned staff.At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.Job Description Summary
Essential Job Functions
Bank of the West (BOTW) Inspection Group is looking for a top notch credit professional to step into the role of Senior Credit Review Manager. Reporting directly to the Head of Credit Review / Credit and Counterparty Audit, this is a critical management role with direct influence in shaping the success and growth of the Credit Review group.
The Inspection Group (IG), as the Bank’s periodic control function (third line of defense), independently assesses the effectiveness of the permanent control function (i.e., first and second lines of defense) to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks. The Senior Credit Review Manager, Credit and Counterparty Audit (CCA) is responsible for the delivery of complex, integrated credit review audit assignments. The CCA team fulfills the responsibilities of the Credit Review (or Loan Review) function of the Bank, as defined by the 2006 Interagency Guidance on Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses (ALLL).
Manages, directs, coaches and evaluates assigned staff who will have a direct reporting relationship with the incumbent.
Leads large and complex credit review audits as the Head of Assignment. Responsible for the related audit scoping, planning, evaluating, testing, and reporting phases of the assignment, which will additionally involve supervision of the staff credit reviewers assigned to the audit. Assignments are often integrated audits, performed by a multi-disciplinary team of auditors from different audit teams outside of CCA.
Understands the underlying risks applicable to the business lines / corporate functions that comprise the Auditable Units (AU) owned by the CCA team. Conducts ongoing research and evaluation the AUs via continuous monitoring activities, using a combination of interviews with executives resposnsible for the AUs, review of internal risk monitoring reports and external research. Responsible for writing and/or appoving Risk Assessments of assigned AUs. Requires strong credit risk, banking, and product knowledge, and familiarity with applicable regulations and compliance requirements.
In particular, expertise in large Commercial and Industrial (C&I) credits including Leveraged Lending is a key requirement. Relevant experience in international banking and cross-border deals, including international trade finance would be highly preferred.\\
Completes audit recommendation validation work or 2nd level of supervisory review over complex and non-complex findings.
Communicates effectively, clearly, concisely, and accurately using written and verbal communications with all levels of management. Must have the ability to write clear, concise and impactful reports and presentation materials.
Responsible for recruitment, development and retention of talent within the CCA team.
Manages assignments to ensure BNP Paribas Inspection Génerale and Bank of the West Inspection Group policies and procedures are adhered to on audit assignments.
Contributes to the Board, Audit Committee, or Management reporting on an as needed basis.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires 15 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Strong credit background and expertise is a key requirement. Additionally, experience in credit review and/or credit audit is desirable.
- Requires broad management knowledge to lead project teams in one department.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Bachelor's Degree applicable and related field
- Master's/Advanced Degree and/or Certification (CPA, etc.) in applicable and related field - Highly preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Primary focus of role is on day-to-day operational execution, with occasional contribution to broader planning within area of expertise. 40% Tactical/60% Transactional.
- Work and collaborate with others to assure that Inspection Group objectives are successfully attained.
- Maintains current on industry developments affected areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Familiarity with Banking laws and regulations; region and branch banking operations; asset and liability management; treasury (including derivatives); lending (including evaluation of loan loss reserve, syndication desk, and other real estate owned); expenditures; deposits; PC and telephone banking (including FCC requirements); related systems; etc.
- Commercial and industrial lending; commercial real estate; trade finance; consumer lending; financial statement analysis; loan underwriting and structure; valuation; highly-leverage transactions; accounting standards; Uniform Commercial Code; capital markets and other non-traditional credit areas including off-balance sheet credit risk; etc.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-California-San RamonJob Type: Full-timeJob: Audit