At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for taking a lead role in ensuring that HR policies, procedures and practices align with Bank of the West’s 2nd line of defense, Operational Risks and Compliance requirements and providing challenge and support for continuous enhancements of the HR 1st line of defense set-up. The role is cross-functional; the HR Senior Controls & Governance Officer will have to work closely with all the HR Subject Matter Experts, and liaise with Compliance, Risk, Audit, Regulatory and HR Legal Teams.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinate and support HR Groups in implementing any Compliance, Operational Risk and Permanent Control assessment (RCRA, RCSA …) or program or initiative. Manage the scope and the calendar, facilitate the assessments/ implementation, ensure action plan follow-up.
- Work with the HR Group(s) affected by changing laws, regulations or policies to ensure that appropriate changes are implemented
- Support the assigned HR Group to respond to Regulatory / Audit inquiries and coordinate evidence gathering
- Coordinate the risks identification and action plan follow-up
- Coordinate the production and distribution of processes, procedures/policies and make sure of their compliance with 2LOD requirements and BNPP as well
- Coordinate the performance of controls and, if required, to perform testing
- Coordinate and promote the identification and recording of historical operational risk incidents
- Contribute to any Compliance, Internal Control and Operational Risk statement/reporting
Other Job Duties
- To identify and report/escalation alerts on issues related to Compliance, Operational Risk and Permanent Control
- To work in close collaboration / Liaise with Compliance, Op Control and Audit team – and contribute to 1st LOD governance structure
- Disseminates all ORD and Compliance information and requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires deep knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Typically viewed as a specialist within discipline. May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Requires 7 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Business Administration or related field
- Preferred background: HR/ Risk/Compliance/ Business Analyst/ Project Management/ HR Legal
- To be the main point of contact and interface in HR for 2LOD, 3LOD and Regulatory Relations regarding the management of all audits and their related issues/findings.
- To coordinate and support HR Business Groups in managing their issues and findings, whether self-identified or assigned by internal or external parties.
- To work with the assigned Business Group affected by audit results to ensure that appropriate responsible parties are identified and that remediation plans are implemented by the agreed upon due dates.
- To support the assigned Business Group to respond to Regulatory / Audit inquiries and coordinate evidence gathering.
- To coordinate and promote the identification and recording of self-identified issues, Historical Incident
- To identify and report/escalation alerts early enough on any findings or issues that bear the risk of being remediated late or not being remediated satisfactorily.
- To work in close collaboration / Liaise with Compliance, Risk, Audit and Regulatory Relations teams, and contribute to 1st LOD governance structure, organization and efficiency regarding the management of issues and findings.
- To contribute to the monitoring / enhancement of BOTW ACR Program
- To be the ambassador of BOTW Risk Culture
- Understanding of regulatory and internal control aspects
- Understanding the bank organization and governance Control skills
- Ability to analyze and synthetize data
- General knowledge of Compliance, Operational Risk and Permanent Control
- General knowledge of HR would be a plus
- Data analysis skills set
- Project Management skills set
- Core competencies: Discretion / Confidentiality culture
- Risk management capacities
- Analytical skills
- Rigor and accuracy
- Competence for synthesis
- Capacity to report and inform
- Ease for communication
- Collaborative approach
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.