What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an
environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers.
Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
This is a 2nd Line of
Defense Compliance position that is responsible for partnering with the
Business Units, assessing the BSA/AML and Sanctions risk and control profile,
advising, monitoring and challenging core compliance program components;
ensuring compliance with regulatory risks; managing risk in a transparent
manner; and monitoring the adequacy of controls.
Essential Job Functions
- Conduct enterprise BSA/AML and
targeted risk assessments, which includes the following:
- Conducting interviews with line of
business representatives to understand risks and controls associated with
customers, products and services, business strategy, and system initiatives;
- Defining parameters and risk attributes
for data collection;
- Conducting analysis with collected
data and other information to quantify inherent risks and risk exposures;
- Assess the adequacy of the control
environment to mitigate risks and to identify any control gaps / enhanced
- Socializing and presenting findings/results
- Producing comprehensive final
written product capturing the risk analysis, control assessment, and direction
of risk as well as an executive-level reporting for the bank, broker dealer and
the respective boards.
- Performs AML transaction monitoring coverage assessment and make
- Implement data driven policy, strategy and risk management
- Advises and guides Business Units on regulatory, policy, and
compliance process requirements to ensure compliance with new or existing
regulations and best practices.
- Advises management on risk assessment processes and provides
guidance in design and development of processes and controls to manage risks.
- Partners with business line team members to ensure timely
identification, mitigation, resolution and reporting/escalation of existing and
emerging compliance risks and issues.
- Provides expertise, oversight, guidance, and advices on regulatory
requirements that affect the Business Unit and oversees the Business Unit
compliance implementation efforts.
- Works with the areas of the Business Lines affected by changing
laws, regulations, or policies to ensure the appropriate changes are timely implemented.
- Advises and consults on proposed new products, services, and
initiatives with regard to compliance obligations and corresponding compliance
risks, and mitigating controls. Reviews/identifies regulatory impact, and
approves recommended controls.
- Advises on the design of the
Business Lines QC/QA processes, monitors and challenges execution of QA/QC,
assesses and identifies weaknesses, and escalates issues as appropriate.
Other Job Duties
- Conducts periodic risk-based monitoring to ensure that
key compliance processes in the Business Lines are conducted in a timely
and well-controlled fashion and provides reports as appropriate.
- Provides input in design of business management
information (MI) reporting to incorporate compliance risk metrics,
monitors metrics and escalates matters as appropriate.
- Reviews and advises on Business Lines
compliance-related training materials, assignments, and delivery.
- Assists in preparation for regulatory examinations,
advises on remediation and Action Plan design to address regulatory
finding and tracks timely remediation efforts of the regulatory issues.
- Collaborate across the Compliance community to
communicate a comprehensive view or compliance risk to management, assists
in the implementation of robust compliance monitoring/surveillance
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS Degree required
- Minimum 5 yrs compliance, risk, internal audit, or regulatory experience in the banking industry
- BSA/AML/Sanctions, Financial Crimes or related Governance, Oversight and Risk Assessment
- Strong knowledge of the laws
applicable to money laundering, to include the BSA, AML, USA PATRIOT Act, and
- Strong knowledge of general banking
with an understanding of Retail, Commercial, Wealth Management products and
- Knowledge of services provided by
broker-dealers, investment management, trust and foreign exchange and capital
- Strong communication and
collaboration skills, including the ability to work effectively with others at
all levels across the organization
- Ability to learn quickly, manage
projects and drive/achieve results
- Ability to work with regulatory
agencies, including OCC, FDIC, CFPB, FINRA or state agencies
- Ability to multi-task and manage
- Strong time management, project
management and independent operator
- Strong interpersonal skills for
- Strong writing skills for
composition of reports.
- Strong understanding of Excel is
required. Data analytics (SQL, R) and experience with visual analytics tools is desired
but not required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco
Primary Location: United States-California-San RamonJob Type: Full-timeJob: Compliance