As our subject matter expert in the Transition Mineral & Metals, you will help our clients transition towards a low carbon future.
You will play a key role supporting technical activities related to the Transition Mineral & Metals and related applications, in particular the Battery Value Chain, Electrolysers, Fuel Cells, Green Steel.
This will include all related due-diligence activity, identification/screening of new clients/projects, lead the technical review as part of the credit process but also showcase internally and externally the sectorial expertise of the LCTG and place the franchise as a leader on the market.
To thrive in this role, you must have a chemical engineering background and engineering skills in the battery value chain, combined with good interpersonal skills in a client-facing team.
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
In the UK, Global Banking focuses on 4 main business areas: Corporate Clients Group, Capital Markets, Low Carbon Transition Group and Transaction Banking.
The Low Carbon Transition Group (LCTG) is a global unit set up to develop the strategic dialogue with the Bank’s clients and to support their transition to a low carbon and sustainable economy. LCTG assists large corporate clients in their transition by decarbonising their business and investing in new activities; implementing innovative transition accelerators to support their development; and assists institutional investors to direct capital deployment towards a low-carbon transition.
The Innovation & Business Development team is a Paris/Madrid/London based team of 10 officers. The Innovation & Business Development team is supporting the origination by identifying key companies & projects of interest, participating to the commercial activity (pitches) and monitoring market developments and regulation.
The Innovation Factory as part of the LCTG Innovation & Business Development team is acting as the Expertise & Market Intelligence center to analyse technology & project fundamentals, facilitating the dialogue with industrial clients/prospects, all-in-all supporting the origination effort through a technical prism. The Innovation Factory is participating to the execution of equity/debt advisory mandates and driving the technical due-diligence worskstreams.
The team is exposed to more than 50 relationships and prospects, and participate to the execution of ca. 10-20 new transactions per year. The team offers a unique opportunity for highly motivated engineer to participate in the growth our activity spanning a wide variety of technical situations and to become instrumental in the development of a major technical franchise in the Low-Carbon space.
Job Purpose & Scope
As a Director, the role holder will be accountable for completing highly-complex analyses, This will include all due-diligence activity related to the Transition Mineral & Metals and related applications, in particular the Battery Value Chain (including active materials and recycling), Electrolysers and Fuel Cells.
Understanding of the upstream Metal & Mining sector (extraction) and related market dynamics.
· Participate to the development of the Low Carbon Transition Group franchise through identification/screening of new clients/projects, with a focus on the allocated technology perimeter, in conjunction with the LCTG Originators, globally (EMEA, AMER, APAC)
· Act a technical leader on the following LCTG perimeter: Transition Minerals, Metals & Batteries, Electrolysers, Fuel Cells, Green Steel
· Act as ESG leader on same perimeter as technical
Will be expected to lead workstreams and drive strategy in the team to support the business to achieve its objectives and aspirations.
· Accountable for utilising detailed knowledge of the Transition Minerals, Metals & Batteries as a subject matter expert to review and complete highly-complex activities to facilitate the objectives and aspirations of the Low Carbon Transition Group function, and to deliver strategic and commercial client solutions.
· Leads and takes ownership of tasks such as
o Technical analysis on low-carbon transition clients or prospects, projects, or assets, including
o Conducting/supervising technical screening of potential clients for LCTG.
o Undertaking site visits as part of the due diligence to ensure clients assets, facilities and operational and managerial teams are capable of performing as forecasted
o Leading the technical review as part of the credit process for new transactions and existing credit facilities, in particular when BNPP acts as the Technical Bank.
o Performing due diligence with the Deal Team on prospects (including collecting requisite documents and reports to formulate a defensible technical bank case).
o Generating a Technical case applying engineering inputs and scenarios sensitivities﴿ as part of the Deal Team to define the debt capacity of clients/prospects, and to analyze their liquidity situation.
o Contribute to the collective dynamics and the team ethos, across LCTG
§ Contribute to increasing connectivity between the different LCTG teams
§ Promote team spirit.
§ Organising the Technical Library, gathering the reference documents for the allocated sub-sectors
§ Maintaining own client relationships / transactions and generating new business ideas that are in line with the Banks policies, regulatory obligations and wider strategies in order to achieve annual revenue targets; and
o Looks to identify and suggest new business opportunities. Co-ordinates business development strategies with other business lines, sectors and geographies to maximise business revenue and client success.
· Work with the originators to design and propose fit for purpose advisory & financing solutions based on the client's assets, activities, M&A goals and current financial position
· Participate in credit committees on all new files and annual reviews
· Prepare conclusive technical memos on desktop data, site visits, client meetings, independent due diligence reports provided by third party advisors
· Acts as a senior point of escalation for the Low Carbon Transition Group, with ability to define appropriate interventions, in order to deliver a quality service to clients.
· Supports the activities of the Low Carbon Transition Group function supporting the development of junior colleagues (including through regular and annual reviews) and supervising the delegation of work to ensure effective and profitable output.
- Chemical Engineering background, Masters degree in Chemical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Technical skills to include
o Engineering skills related to critical minerals & metals applied to the Energy Transition
o Chemical and/or Processing engineering
o Economics: CFs analysis, Modelling Skills
o Basics in Structuration, Credit and Documentation Skills
o Basics in Sustainability
- Recent Experience in the Battery Value Chain which includes raw material processing, manufacture of battery components, battery cell/pack production, integration of batteries into Electric Vehicles and Recycle/Re-use of batteries
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to translate technical concepts and provide specialist guidance and advice to others. Able to construct a broad point of view and market convictions.
- Professional qualification required with in depth understanding of the theories and practices across the Global Banking function and BNP Paribas products and capabilities, and their interaction with each other, combined with deep expertise in the Battery Value Chain.
- Expert knowledge of a wide range of policies, procedures regulations and legislation relevant to Low Carbon Transition Group function, with the ability to apply this knowledge to improve BNP Paribas processes and practices.
- Strong experience in managing key stakeholder relationships, with an excellent ability to negotiate, support and influence. Strong people management skills and an ability to work with individuals to manage performance to ensure their delivery of client objectives.
- Strong commercial and communication / relationship management skills. Excellent written and oral English skills in order to articulate technical issues and to be able to take the complex and make simple to enable effective communication with individuals across the business.
- Strong personal focus on accuracy and attention to detail and able to review and improve work of more junior colleagues.
- Computer literacy and a good knowledge of a range of standard computer software, e.g., Microsoft Office, email. Experience in using investment banking databases (e.g. Factset, Dealogic, Bloomberg).
BNP Paribas promotes equality of opportunity and is committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
As an employee with BNP Paribas London Branch, we want to make sure that you are rewarded for your commitment. As such, you will be entitled to our award winning benefits package which includes a generous holiday allowance of at least 34 days (including bank holidays), a non-contributory pension of 12%, private healthcare, GP service and dental cover all as standard, along with a number of personal insurances such as income protection, life assurance and personal accident insurance. We believe in ensuring all our employees have a positive work life balance so in addition you will also have access to a variety of flexible lifestyle benefits such as cycle to work and green car leasing schemes, season ticket loans and reduced cinema and gym membership to name a few.