At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, such as advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Work Location Statement
This position has the option to work in one of our key hubs (San Francisco, CA, San Ramon, CA, Tempe, AZ, Omaha, NE) or to work remotely as long as it is in within our 27 state working footprint which includes AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IA, IL, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY, NY.
Job Description Summary
The Inspection Group, as the Bank's periodic control function (i.e., third line of defense), independently assesses the effectiveness of the permanent control function (i.e., first and second lines of defense) to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks.
A primary focus for this position will be to lead audit execution covering end-to-end processes of auditable entities within the Enterprise Risk Management Team (e.g., Asset-Liability Management – Treasury, Operational Risk Management, Model Risk Management, Capital Planning, Capital Markets- Fixed income/Derivatives, and Incentive Compensation). This individual will work closely with audit assignment team members to complete each phase of the audit. This will entail documenting walk-throughs of in-scope processes; assessing the sufficiency and suitability of controls to mitigate risks; developing audit procedures; testing the operating effectiveness and sustainability of controls; and drafting findings and associated recommendations to address identified gaps in the control environment. This individual will have regular interactions with team members, process / control owners, and management of business units. Based on experience, this role may also entail leading audits.
Essential Job Functions
- Demonstrates a strong ability to execute assigned audit procedures accurately, timely, and with minimal supervision.
- Leads as Head of Assignment, or supports the Head of Assignment by assisting with audit planning/scoping, evaluating, testing, and reporting.
- Contributes to the completion of continuous monitoring activities for assigned auditable entities and escalates matters that may impact the timing of the next audit assignments.
- Prepares and updates risk assessments for assigned auditable entities for supervisory review.
- Validates the sufficiency and suitability of business corrective actions to address audit recommendations for supervisory review.
- Exhibits effective written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management.
- Possesses an understanding of audit, risk, compliance, banking, and/or product knowledge.
- Executes audit work in accordance with BNPP Inspection Generale and the Bank of the West Inspection Group policies and procedures.
- May be asked to direct the work of more junior staff members on the audit assignments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires deep knowledge of banking functions typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Typically viewed as a specialist within discipline. Interest Rate Risk Management knowledge/experience preferred.
- May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Requires 10 years minimum required relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in an applicable and related field
- License(s) or Certifications such as CIA/CPA preferred. Bank will sponsor if candidate is interested in obtaining licenses/ certification in related field.
- Primary focus of role is on day-to-day execution of assigned areas of audit responsibilities while demonstrating the ability to take on additional responsibilities.
- Stays current on industry developments in affected areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrable strengths in one or more of the following:
- Bank Audit Activities Banking laws and regulations; asset and liability management; treasury (including derivatives); etc.
- Enterprise Risk Management Activities and practices for large, complex banking organizations (LCBOs); capital management and planning; stress testing; model risk governance and management; operational risk; financial reporting (including FDIC and state call reporting requirements, GAAP, and SEC requirements); budgeting; cost accounting (including transfer pricing and cost allocation); incentive programs; etc.
“To protect the health and safety of our employees and customers, Bank of the West requires all U.S. employees to provide proof of their vaccination status. Employees who are not fully vaccinated must undergo regular testing beginning May, 2022.”
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.