Description of the Department
The Performance and Compliance team sits within Asset and Fund Services division of BNP Paribas Securities Services (BP2S) Australia. The team’s mission is to monitor investment manager compliance to agreed guidelines within an Investment Mandate Agreement.
This service is provided Daily/Weekly/Monthly to BNP Paribas institutional clients, using the internally developed ‘Eurosycomore’ platform.
To enable this function the Investment Compliance team is required to communicate effectively with
- Clients (Asset Owners and/or Asset Managers)
- Client Relationship and Client Service Managers
- Fund and Securities Administration
- Local and Paris based It teams
- Eurosycomore support team in Europe
- Assets consultants
- Data Suppliers
Summary of the Role
The Senior Analyst is responsible for supporting the IC Team Leader with delivery and oversight of the day-to-day operations of the Investment Compliance team, and delivery of services to BNP Paribas clients.
The Senior Analyst demonstrates a strong client service ethic and interpersonal skills. Frequent communication occurs with Investment Managers and BP2S Clients. Internally regular interactions with BP2S teams from, Relationship Management, IT, Fund Accounting and Unit Pricing, ensuring the timely and correct reports and dealing with ad hoc issues and requests.
They assist the IC Team Leader with building the technical capability of team members through on-the-job and cross training, they manage or escalate the more complex queries and issues. They ensure appropriate procedures, plus risk and control guidelines are adhered to within the team through processes and checking. They have strong Eurosycomore system skills (BAU and rule creation), and can train junior team members.
They support the Team Leader with measurement of team performance by recording KPI achievement, ensuring their team members demonstrate an improvement focus with the ability to identify and implement change and efficiencies in the team.
The Senior Analyst will assist with ensuring performance of the team, quality of output and general high level of client service as it relates to Investment Compliance deliverables. Key areas of focus include:
- BAU workflow organisation and management for agreed clients (oversight / checking / audit / cross training / coverage)
- Delivery of BAU in a consistently timely and accurate manner (meeting prescribed client KPI’s)
- Escalate critical issues and non-standard requests
- Strong Eurosycomore system knowledge. Providing training and product knowledge support to new or junior staff and the wider business (Excellent understanding of funds management and monitoring services)
- Subject Matter Expert for on boarding and projects (investment theory and practice)
- Support, guidance and training of new or junior staff members
- Monitor portfolio adherence to Investment Management Agreements, ensuring the service meets agreed client deadlines and service parameters as outlined in client SLA.
- Timely validation and communication of any mandate breaches/exceptions with clients and/or investment managers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients and investment managers to ensure provision of high level of service;
Assist with Oversight of the Investment Compliance Function
- Support Team Leader to ensure high quality service delivery to clients
- Monitor and manage IC team deliverables, work flow and capacity.
- Assist Team Leader with team oversight and Eurosycomore system training.
- Recommend and implement improvements to service for both clients and BPSS Investment, in terms of efficiencies and new products and services.
- Ensure a robust and automated IC process in a controlled environment.
- Investigate, document, report and resolve issues and recommend corrective action where appropriate;
Risk and compliance
- Identify and alert management to risks, deficiencies and opportunities for re-engineering of controls and processes.
- Ensure Cross training and get exposed to all the areas of the team;
- Ensure Compliance of all processes with internal policies and procedures;
- Perform other tasks as requested
Average % Time Spent on Major Activity Areas
Task allocation may vary significantly from the indicative percentages listed below due to business requirements and priorities. The percentage of the time allocated to particular tasks and the tasks allocated may change over time due to streamlining of processes and changes in organisational structure.
Qualifications & Experience required for the role
ertiary qualifications and/or relevant Investment Compliance experience within within a financial institution. Extensive knowledge of how to monitor investment compliance and funds management administration.
Knowledge and experience in risk management and compliance including the use of control checklists and a commitment to maintaining and educating around key risk policies. Awareness of how and when to escalate complex issues and the ability to foster a questioning, improvement and escalation culture is key.
A desire to progress and develop is required as well as the ability to mentor and educate more junior staff in on-the-job training and building their technical knowledge of their products and processes.
Technical Skills required for the role
- Strong Eurosycomore system skills including BAU monitoring functions plus client and new rule creation/amendment skills.
- Investment Compliance experience (5+ years) from either a custody or funds management background
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, especially macros (VBA)
- Knowledge of relevant industry standards, plus ability to review and interpret IMA rules and guidelines
- Understanding of financial markets, and the drivers behind market movements.
- Understanding of Unit Pricing, regulations applying to financial service and Tax
IT Skills Required:
Level of Proficiency Required – i.e. Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced
Eurosycomore (proprietary system)
Critical Performance Competencies
- Customer Focus – Actively seeks opportunities to assist customers and develop rapport. Adhering to client SLA’s
- Monitoring self and analyst workload and capacity
- Collaboration : Working effectively with others in the organisation outside the line of formal authority
- Technical Skills : knowledge of the Investment Management process, investment types, effective exposure of derivatives,