BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Transaction Analysis & Frameworks (‘TA&F’) is part of Group Financial Policies within Standards & Controls.
The main objectives of TA&F is to act as Finance Single Point of Contact (‘SPOC’) on exceptional transaction and new activity approval committees (‘TAC/NAC’) of CIB with end to end responsibilities (Accounting, regulatory own funds, valuation, operational implementation): advisory role during structuring phase, draft Finance opinions including normative analysis, establish & diffuse internal summaries ex post.
The team aims improve Finance answer to TAC NAC addressing in the same team both accounting policy and Finance operational aspects and provide a unique point of contact for business / OPC.
The team is primarily located in Paris but also has a presence in London. The team is divided internally between members focused on the accounting policy aspects and members focused on the operational implementation aspects.
Job Purpose & Scope
The role is within the accounting policy part of the TA&F team. The key purpose of role is to provide clear accurate accounting policy advice on TAC/NAC.
The position will cover the accounting policy aspects of all TAC NAC. Although the role is based in London it is part of the central TA&F team and so the scope is global. Consequently the team covers TAC NAC from all regions and Business Lines with the significant volume of structured transactions being within Global Markets in CIB
- Analyse exceptional transactions (TAC) and new activity (NAC) proposals from the Business and prepare clear, accurate technical accounting memorandums defining the accounting treatment under IFRS and where applicable French GAAP
- Act as the single point of contact for the Business for Finance accounting policy questions in relation to TAC NAC. This can include discussing potential transactions in the earlier structuring phase (before the TAC or NAC is officially launched) in order to help the Business understand the accounting consequences of the various alternatives
- Where sensitive accounting issues are identified within TAC NAC liaise with Group Accounting Policy (GAP) to obtain validation for the proposed accounting treatment.
- Coordinate with the operational specialist in TA&F or regional Finance to ensure that they receive the accounting policy analysis with sufficient time to assess the operational implementation aspects. Proactively assist with explaining the accounting treatment and address any accounting queries to ensure they fully understand the accounting treatment in order for them to assess the operational implementation.
- Represent Finance at the physical TAC NAC committee as appropriate (if there are particular accounting issues and conditions which will need to be explained to the committee)
- Build strong collaborative relationships with Business, GAP, and the various interlocutors for the operational implementation (TA&F operational specialists and regional Finance)
- Qualified accountant (ACA or equivalent) with a large amount of post qualification experience or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Experience either working in the technical accounting team within the Big 4 covering financial services clients or working in the technical accounting team within an investment bank (or preferably both)
- Experience working with capital markets and banking products
- Experience making accounting judgements in the application of IFRS to complex capital markets transactions
- Work effectively in a team
- Communicate clearly and efficiently across team
- Build effective relationships with peers and superiors
The following core competencies are required for this job:
- Excellent knowledge of IFRS and a genuine interest in IFRS developments
- Knowledge of capital markets activities and the ability and interest to understand the transactions from a commercial perspective
- Self-starter who has the ability to work independently
- Strong analytical skills with a clearly demonstrated ability to identify issues, assess their impact and clearly document/resolve
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong collaborative relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presentation skills
- Retains perspective, exercises clear judgement and reasoned decision making when working under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Ability to challenge the Business and other accounting policy teams where appropriate
- Well organized , deadline focused, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Strong team player
BNP Paribas promotes equality of opportunity and is committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
As an employee with BNP Paribas London Branch, we want to make sure that you are rewarded for your commitment. As such, you will be entitled to our award winning benefits package which includes a generous holiday allowance of at least 34 days (including bank holidays), a non-contributory pension of 12%, private healthcare, GP service and dental cover all as standard, along with a number of personal insurances such as income protection, life assurance and personal accident insurance. We believe in ensuring all our employees have a positive work life balance so in addition you will also have access to a variety of flexible lifestyle benefits such as cycle to work and green car leasing schemes, season ticket loans and reduced cinema and gym membership to name a few.