At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for overseeing the loan portfolio for the Group and advising management on trends / remedial actions. Provide Management & Executives with tools to identify, evaluate and analyze credit trends and loss exposure. Develop, direct and train his/her team to accurately prepare data, analyze trends, offer solutions and help the different Division Credit Managers as well as Credit Manager and Group Heads to manage credit portfolio efficiently and effectively. Manages Portfolio Management databases to ensure a high standard of credit quality through appropriate monitoring of delinquencies, compliance w/ terms and covenants, and preparation of reports and statistics on various aspects of the loan portfolio. Provides a common Group framework and is instrumental in helping define, strengthen, amend, and monitor adherence to current policies and procedures and credit control functions. Works closely with all levels of Risk Management to coordinate reports, analysis and actions.
Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
- Responsible for the development of the portfolio management databases that support the Group's strategic objectives in monitoring all credit exposure with special emphasis on classified credits, including special mention and weakening pass-graded accounts; identification of appropriate Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) to monitor potential or existing risk trends in the business units.
Responsible for managing financial covenant tracking tools to ensure that Business Units are tracking all covenant violations & items overdue; and responsible for monitoring that they are addressing significant & long outstanding overdrafts, past-dues, covenant violations or delayed client reporting, that there is sufficient analysis, and that appropriate credit approvals were obtained.
Provides financial and analysis support for the Division Credit Managers and Credit Manager. This includes completing management reporting packages, and developing dashboards, risk grade migration and other analysis to enable effective business decisions; and provides reports to external auditors as requested. Evaluates, recommends and facilitates discussions with Division Credit Managers on credit matters and more specifically on Allowance for Loan Losses and charge-offs projections; and supports the Finance Team with quarterly forecasts and annual budget in areas of Cost of Risk.
- Provides recommendation, participates and collaborates with other units of the bank in the design and implementation of Bank-wide initiatives related to Risk, risk trends and Cost of Risk.
- Implements a credit control monitoring function to ensure proper adherence to the credit portfolio management policy by all Business Units, and reviews credit files on an ad hoc basis, when areas of credit or account managements concerns have been identified.
- Facilitates periodic loan portfolio reviews performed by internal/external auditors and regulatory authorities.
for design and maintenance of Business Continuity Plans (BCP Plans). Ensures
completion of regularly scheduled compliance and operational risk reviews of
loan underwriting and portfolio management practices in coordination with
Controls & Governance groups.
writing, review and implementation of loan policies & procedures.
support to business development: prepares pipeline reports, builds capacity
planning models, analyzes gearing in respective underwriting teams. Coordinates
Transaction Approval Meeting (agenda, minutes, system sign-off)
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and technological developments / innovation to assess potential impact on the credit control process; when required recommends amended policies and procedures.
- Participates in specific projects and studies when required.
- Gain expertise on the portfolio management tools and covenant tracking systems (i.e. TouchPoint, Balenz, etc...)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
- Typically has advanced knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with understanding of the impact of work on other areas of the organization.
- Requires 7 to 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Management or Business-related subject
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Formal Credit training from a major Commercial Bank.
- Bank product and service knowledge.
- Credit analysis or credit analyst experience.
- Good oral & written communication.
- Planning and organizing.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-California-San FranciscoJob Type: Full-timeJob: Risk Management