BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Business Area / Department Overview
The RISK GSA UK team is a local function providing General Management, Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB), RISK Function and Retail Banking & Services (RS) Business Units with a UK-focused independent view and analysis of key risks.
The risks covered are Credit, Counterparty and Market hence this is a transversal role covering all risk types linked to the BNPP UK scope.
The team is composed of 5 people, 4 analysts and an intern, working in collaboration with regional teams in APAC, Paris and Lisbon and reporting operationally to the UK Chief Risk Officer. Members of the team will interact on a regular basis with the various RISK Streams and Businesses within CIB and RS.
Purpose & Scope of Role
Purpose: GSA UK maintains a Management Information (MI) framework, with responsibilities including animating the Risk Committees and Risk Executive Committees for both UK CIB and UK RS and the coordination, analysis and preparation of risk information for these forums. The team also contributes to MI for the Executive Committees for UK CIB, UK RS and the London Branch Executive Committee, as well as to regulators, notably the PRA.
Key Responsibilities of Role
- Production of the risk information for the various UK Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB) and Retail Banking & Services (RS) risk committees:
- Covering the Credit, Counterparty and Market Risks, UK Stress Tests (both Market and Credit).
- Monitoring of the CIB London Branch Risk Appetite Statement Metrics.
- Contribution to ad-hoc requests for the UK originated exposures, whether external (e.g. from UK Regulators) or internal (e.g. request for focus paper on specific area) and the evolution of the UK risk appetite.
- Contribution to the permanent control framework (Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Control Procedures).
- Ongoing development and enhancement of existing risk tools and analysis (e.g. ESG risks).These will be a mixture of proactive improvements and efficiencies, and responses to address external or internal recommendations.
- In particular, a key aim is to improve and automate processes around data extraction, analysis and presentation.
When dealing with subject matter experts, show some understanding of complex topics, such as those involving quantitative analysis, models, stress testing, etc; demonstrating awareness of quantitative skills / techniques.
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
- Experience with Market / Credit Risk systems (o/w BMRC, Global Vision, MRX, Risk Navigator), measures and analysis.
- Ability to identify and understand the major risks across business activities.
- Excellent spreadsheet and presentation skills (Excel, Powerpoint).
- General all-round IT competence. Experience with VBA, R or Python.
- Effective Team Player, highly motivated, with a positive attitude. Team member with the ability to collaborate and share information, and to liaise with all levels of staff and management as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English language) are a key requirement, due to the need to establish and maintain contacts and information flow with stakeholders.
- Management Information. Ability to synthesise large amounts of diverse information and present the analysis in a clear, concise, meaningful manner.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure deliverables quality and accuracy.
- Strong delivery focus. Strict deadlines are to be respected while maintaining a controlled environment.
- Ability to develop and adapt a process.
- Ability to effectively prioritise problems and tasks through considering their impacts.
- Capacity for innovation: using own initiative to manage own research efforts and analysis.
- Qualifications / Certifications: FRM
- Skills – Technical: VBA (Proficient), Python (Proficient)
- Skills – Behavioural: Creativity and Innovation / Problem Solving (Basic)
- Skills – Management: Personal Impact / Ability to Influence (Proficient)