BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 196,000 employees, including around 149,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets, International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors.
BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking is a globally recognised leader offering capital markets, securities services, financing, treasury and advisory solutions.
Business Area / Department Overview
In charge of periodic control (third line of defense), Inspection Generale carries out the function of internal audit and contributes to the protection of the activity and reputation of the BNP Paribas Group.
Inspection Generale provides an objective assurance of Risk Control to BNPP Group operations globally and is headed by the Inspecteur General who reports directly to the Group CEO.
The Hub UK is a geographical Hub, covering all activities in the UK and Channel Islands.
The Hub has several audit teams (around 70 auditors), based in the UK. These teams are split by business activity covering all activities within their area of responsibility (including Global Markets, Global Banking, Personal Finance, Securities Services and Wealth Management). Other areas such as OFAC $ Clearing is covered by the Inspection Centrale Financial Security Audit Line. Each team is headed by a direct report to the Head of Hub who supervises the audit for the activities he/she is responsible for. The Head of Hub reports to a Deputy Head of IG Head Office.
The Hub’s remit is to provide audit services to the Businesses, Operations and Functions in the UK and Channel Islands in close liaison with Senior Management and Head Office entities. The main focus is to help the organisation accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the Governance, Risk management, and internal Control (GRC) processes.
Our Audit Hub provides employees with an excellent grounding in all aspects of the business, and regular interaction with Management enables strong relationships to be built, allowing a robust understanding in all aspects of the businesses.
Having performed successfully in this role, the individual will have the benefit of a broad range of career opportunities within the Group - both within Internal Audit and wider business lines/functions; in the UK and abroad. A comprehensive training programme is in place to ensure continued professional development.
Purpose & Scope of Role
The Regulatory Lead / Project Manager will play an active role across the Hub UK.
The post will cover both:
- Ensuring UK regulatory expectations across all of the audit business areas are known and shared timely with the Auditors. This includes enriching the relevant audit guides when necessary
- Delivering on specific and ad-hoc projects, which also includes regular reporting for Executive Committees, Regulators or IG Head Office.
- This process will involve working with Hub and IG Head Office management and teams, the UK Bank’s regulatory engagement teams and liaising with UK regulators as needed.
Key Responsibilities of Role
Specific responsibilities associated with this role include:
- Developing and maintaining a key understanding of the regulatory framework applicable to Hub UK and ensuring processes are implemented within the Hub that meet these requirements on an on-going basis.
- Maintaining key supervisory documentation:
- In relation to the Head of Hub’s regulatory duties.
- Which supports Hub UK’s on-going compliance with regulatory recommendations.
- Building an effective relationship with the Bank’s regulatory engagement team which allows effective liaison and communication with the Bank’s regulators.
- Effectively communicating with Hub management and the wider audit team’s key regulatory expectations that may impact their assignments and audit work, through written and verbal presentations.
- Identifying lessons learnt from regulatory recommendations (or questions) issued to the Bank and to the Hub for continuous improvement purposes.
Project Management and Reporting (which includes but is not limited to):
- Committee Reporting:
- Compiling Committee Papers through liaison with the Hub’s management teams and the Head of Hub’s PA.
- Liaising with Central IG and other Hubs to ensure data required for Committee and Management reporting is accurate and relevant.
- Developing and implementing robust and systematic processes which can monitor and report to Hub management the following:
- Incidents impacting the UK perimeter
- Overdue and Rejected audit recommendations
- Financial data covering staff costs, expenses and training costs.
- Assisting in the monitoring of Training completed by Hub personnel and with the assistance of the Hub’s Management Team and developing specific training programmes for audit teams to help them deliver their audit objectives.
Other Ad-hoc projects as determined by Hub Management
Experience, Qualifications & Competencies
- Good knowledge of the UK/ECB regulatory expectations facing the banking sector as well as the IIA requirements.
- Past experience from an internal audit or consultancy background e.g. quality assurance and project management is a strong advantage.
- Strong analytical skills: including ability to understand quickly the critical steps in a process, synthesise and process complex information and understand the related risks of various nature, including use of data.
- Good drive: self-motivated and proactive
- Thorough and organised with an ability to prioritise and work under time-pressure.
- Critical thinking
- Creativity & Innovation / Problem solving
- Strong communication skills: ability to listen, clear oral and written communication.
- Attention to detail / rigor
- Fast learner
- Ability to work in a team.
- Mastering the key Microsoft tools
- Data Analytics capacities
- Academic background in Finance / Banking / Risk Management (Bachelor/Master Degree)
- IIA certification or another accountancy qualification is a plus