Regional Trust Manager
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
NOTE: The Regional Trust Officer will cover the Southern California markets for GIFS Wealth Management which requires spending time weekly in the LA and the Newport Beach offices.
Manages a department that includes multiple teams led by managers and/or supervisors. Owns the execution of functional strategy and the operational direction of the Department. At the regional level, is accountable for account growth, client retention, business economics and risk management (provides fiduciary and portfolio management through oversight, reviewing documents, negotiating account terms and leading the approval process for discretionary distributions, assuring proper controls and satisfactory examinations and audits, monitoring processes)across fiduciary and investment activities. Provides coaching to team members in promoting solutions grounded in the application of fiduciary/prudent investment and wealth planning knowledge, as the foundation for client relationship management and expansion. Acts as primary chief advocate of investment and fiduciary services in a market, operating with strategic wholesalers to uncover channel growth opportunities within WMG. Responsible for delivery of investment and fiduciary oversight of advisory-based services to clients in collaboration with WMG Relationship Managers and other members of the Bank. Ensures investment and fiduciary staff partners within all WMG and supports the Wealth Center Managers with client services and new business.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead team members in new business acquisition, implementing WMG plans, collaborating with WMG Centers in setting-up and administering investment & Fiduciary accounts, retaining client relationships and developing relationships to their fullest potentially cross-selling services of the Bank.
- Manage Regional Fiduciary & Portfolio Manager teams.
- Support WMG Strategic business direction by providing investment and fiduciary oversight to ensure the adherence of both Corporate and WMG policies and procedures.
- Manage operational investment and fiduciary standards through the development and implementation of proactive client servicing plans. Supports WMG sales efforts by creating efficient processes to support administrative functions.
- Maintain current and thorough knowledge of laws, rules, regulations and Bank and WMG policies and procedures applicable to the Bank’s investment and fiduciary businesses to minimize risk to the Bank. Advise senior WMG management on key investment and fiduciary issues, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Maintain a continuous study of financial news, reports, digests , and financial services to keep informed of economic and financial conditions affecting markets subject to investment and fiduciary solutions.
- Participate in a variety of investment and fiduciary committees within the Bank to provide functional expertise related to fiduciary and investment activities at the Bank. Provides leadership in those committees by serving as Chair or member.
- Participate in local community and business functions/groups to ensure a positive image for the Bank (e.g. CFA Societies, Bar Associations, Regional Estate or fiduciary group meeting).
- Actively participates in Bank regulatory examinations and internal audits for the assigned region(s) and in the resolution of examination findings in a timely manner.
- Assist in developing and managing departmental budgets.
- Responsible for the recruitment, development, coaching, counseling, discipline, writing and administering of performance reviews in a timely manner and retention of assigned team members.
- Requires basic job knowledge of systems and procedures obtained through prior work experience or education.
- Requires 5+ years direct supervisory or managerial experience with employees working local as well as remote.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Business Administration, or related field required
- Master of Law Degree (LLM) and or Doctorate of Juris Prudence Degree (JD) is preferred
- CFA is preferred
- Certified Trust and Financial Advisor (CTFA) preferred
- Thorough understanding of multistate fiduciary laws, regulations, risks and ability to navigate complex fiduciary and investment issues affecting the fiduciary, trust, and investment business
- Advanced knowledge of all consumer and business services and products for high net worth individuals and related businesses.
- Thorough understanding of financial planning concepts, including trust/estate planning, tax planning, investments and insurance.
- Demonstrated negotiation and presentation skills; Superior written and verbal communication skills; Working familiarity with relevant industry technology.
- Able to perform high level mathematics and analysis of large quantities of data.
- Able to operate and use Microsoft Suite products(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)and other software programs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.