BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 72 countries, with more than 202,000 Employees – including more than 154,000 in Europe and over 5,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency, which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Quantitative Research is a group of highly qualified pluri-disciplinary engineers. Backgrounds are as diverse a Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Electronic. Mechanical Engineering.
We offer student the opportunity to be co-supervised by a member of the team. It allows you to have insights from professional engineers. It allows our engineers to spend time explore academic topics that are not part of their day-to-day routine.
The objective for BNP Paribas is to keep close ties with academia. Professors and student get visibility on the skills used in the industry.
The main steps are:
• Discuss with your professor and with us the Master Thesis topics you’d like to work on. We can propose topics but you’re more than welcome to propose one.
• Make a formal tri party agreement between you, your university and BNP Paribas.
This is required if you topic requires access to data (machine learning, financial).
• During your master thesis topic, you’ll be the main driver. We can give you advices but you’re the one in charge. Your professor will be the academic authority. We usually have an interest to use the result of your work for BNP Paribas but this is academic work.
• Fluency in English
• Fluency in Mathematics, ideally knowledge of financial mathematics and statistics, stochastic calculus
• Literacy in Computer Science: algorithms, complexity, etc.
• Wider IT culture is welcome (machine learning, parallelization, network, new languages)
• Effective problem solver and consensus builder
the following qualifications:
• Currently studying in an eligible Master degree
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.