Quality Control Pre-Funding First Mortgage Loan Auditor
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for ensuring that the assigned business unit policies, procedures and practices align with Bank of the West 2nd line of defense Op Risks and Compliance requirements and providing challenge for continuous enhancements of the Business Unit 1st line of defense set-up. Acts as a resource for Level 2 Control questions and issues arising from operations procedures, monitoring of operational risk functions.
Essential Job Functions
- Audits first mortgage loans prior to funding to ensure procedures, guidelines and regulations have been adhered to for both investor and portfolio loans. Loan products audited in Pre-Funding Audit include, Portfolio, FNMA, FHA and VA.
- Executes self-assessment programs and centralized reviews to effectiveness and efficiency of Business Line internal controls. Includes independent testing, documentation, objective evaluation, verbal discussion and reporting.
- Ensures activities are performed accurately, thoroughly, and in accordance with dynamic regulatory, operational risk requirements, and/or industry best practices; and activities meet timeframe standards.
- Manages own work assignments under general supervision to complete self-assessments and other reviews/projects as assigned.
- Is knowledgeable about industry best practices and systems.
- Participates as requested in Business Line Committees/Work Groups along with other Business Team members. Identifies, researches, and reports issues to the committee in order to resolve as appropriate. Effectively contributes in implementing new Business Line procedures.
- Prepares and distributes Assessment Reports and conducts closing conferences with various business partners. Compiles data for analysis or dashboards.
- Maintains current knowledge of related banking activities, and operational risk management and regulatory compliance requirements for financial institutions. Attends professional seminars and participates in Bank operational risk management and regulatory compliance forums.
Other Job Duties
- Assists in developing and maintaining department policies and procedures in support of the Bank's Integrated Operational Risk Framework and/or industry best practices.
- Assists with the testing of new specialized systems or systems upgrades.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires 5 years minimum prior relevant experience in either underwriting or auditing of first mortgage loans.
This position requires a strong comprehension of FHA and FNMA guidelines as well as be able to quickly learn and understand the Bank’s portfolio guidelines. Additionally, experience with VA loans would be considered beneficial.
- Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have practical knowledge of project management.
- Good knowledge of banking operational risk management and industry practices
- Good knowledge of banking and related laws and regulations.
- Experience in developing, writing, and communicating policies and procedures helpful Prior audit or regulatory compliance experience helpful.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.