Python Developer – Market Risk Measures
BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 72 countries, with more than 202,000 Employees – including more than 154,000 in Europe and over 5,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
The mission of RISK is to provide Senior Management of the Group and of the Operating Divisions, with full transparency and dynamic analysis of the risk and clients managed by Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB) and Investment Solutions (IS) business units, as per the scope detailed below.
The scope of RISK is:
- On Market and Liquidity risks: it is Group-wide. RISK comprehensively covers the CIB capital markets activities, ALM Treasury as well as the IS Business Units,
- On Counterparty risk: it is Group-wide. RISK covers all counterparty risks arising from derivative and repo transactions,
- On Credit risk: credit analysis and approval for all Financial Institutions (including Funds and SPVs), Sovereigns, Wealth Management clients and other IS private clients,
- On Insurance risk: risks generated by Insurance activities,
- Depending on mandates given, RISK also assumes, directly or indirectly, responsibilities on the above risk categories in specific areas of the Retail Business Units.
RISK contributes to the definition of the Group’s risk appetite, its risk decision-making process and the optimization of capital allocation to support the development of the Operating Divisions.
The RISK ERA Systems team is part of RISK. Its mission consists in providing the Bank with a comprehensive capital markets risk system used to calculate market and counterparty risk capital figures using advanced methods and to support the needs of users for risk analysis, risk reporting and the credit process.
In this context, the Market Risk Measures (MRM) team is focusing on VaR. Limits and Reserves computation. It is split between London and Lisbon. The team is working in AGILE mode – and more precisely following the SAFe methodology.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for a Python Developer responsible for construction of application components and scripting to manage the interchange of data between external services and the system and apply the methodologies related to the calculation of market risk metrics. Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. Thus, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and product quality is essential. Finally, a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well.
The successful candidate will be expected to fulfil the role of a Market Risk Measures Python developer as follows:
- Be part of a growing team that is at the heart of our investment in regulatory and business driven change
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Python code
- Rapidly prototyping solutions to quickly prove/disprove new concepts
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation
- Integration with a variety of data storage solutions
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Finance or related field
- Data or Risk Management related business analysis experience is preferred
- Experience of market and/or counterparty risk
- Exposure to the practical issues of data loading, validation and management
- Proficient in Python, with a good knowledge of its ecosystem
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and functional programming paradigms
- Experience with both external and embedded databases
- Creating data schemas that represent and support business processes
- Strong analytical skills with a creative and flexible approach to problem solving
- Good knowledge of English; French is a plus
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.