In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
BNP Paribas has a presence in nearly 80 countries with over 180,000 employees. It ranks highly in its three core activities: Retail Banking, Investment Solutions and Corporate & Institutional Banking.
In Asia Pacific, the BNP Paribas Group is a leading employer with 9,000 employees and a presence in 14 markets. Being one of the largest international banking networks, we strive to employ talented and innovative people who are aligned to our vision and culture.
Within CIB (Corporate and Institutional Banking), the Business line Global Banking is recognized universally for its expertise and its know-how.
APAC GB Projects & Change team is at the heart of Global Banking, playing a critical role in enabling new business and projects across Global Banking, contributing to alignment between Front Office and Functions, as well as being the architects (end-to-end) of the Global Banking Value Chain.
The team hosts 2 main mandates:
The Project Leads for vertical (front-office to accounting) or transversal (across several business lines or users groups or locations/entities) projects during all its life cycle (from design to completion). The team leads projects initiated from the APAC region or leads the regional stream of Global/non-APAC projects.
The Business Process Subject Matter Expert to assist the business in the design and review of their new business initiatives and exceptional trades and to represent IT, Operations and in some cases Finance, at new business approval committees: Transaction Approval Committee (“TAC”) and New Activity Committee (“NAC”).
The key interactions are with the project sponsors, Front-office and all the functions (Operations, IT, Finance, as well as Compliance, Legal and Tax) mainly within Global Banking business lines but we also step in at some occasions on projects involving Global Markets, Wealth Management or Securities Services.
The team reports hierarchically to the CIB APAC ITO Operations head.
1. Project Leads
Preliminary step: project framing
- Clarify the objective, the scope, the dependencies, the major risks & issues
- Confirm the sponsorship
- Ensure a clear business rationale is associated to the contemplated project (incl. high level ROI), identify benefits
- Size roughly the effort required to design the solution & execute the project
- Identify contributors to be on-boarded for the study
Study / Design phase:
- Clearly state the business requirements, cost and time-frame of the project
- Coordinate & challenge experts to put together a solution meeting the business requirements
- Identify risk and dependencies that could jeopardize project execution
- Establish the full financial of the project (cost, associated revenues or savings)
- Design the project governance (roles & responsibilities, governance bodies, stakeholders’ identification)
- Design project roadmap (i.e. the overall execution plan)
- Secure the resource plan (skills, capacity) and prioritization / funding for those resources
- Drive the execution of the roadmap
- Ensure aligned project status/progress is shared amongst the project community
- Identify risk & issues and propose a mitigation action plan
- Raise alerts / escalate issues / review the roadmap if required
- Monitor the budget consumption
- Monitor the feedback from contributors on project management and adjust when required
- Prepare and chair governance bodies, produce adequate reporting, communicate
- Collect feedback from project participants
- Identify good practices/factors of success and fields of improvement
- Update project management toolkit with lessons learnt
The Project Lead is also accountable for ensuring that solutions designed for the project fit with the principles and are validated by the relevant validation bodies:
- Overall sound IT architecture
- Operational TOM with clear mandate for each team
- Strong control framework
- Simple and efficient working
- Future evolution of the regulatory framework or anticipated business transformation
2. Business Process Subject Matter Expert (SME) and ITO representative for TAC/NAC
Act as a Subject Matter Expert on end to end processes
- Bring expertise on the end to end process with a strong focus on improving the efficiency of the Operating Model
- Develop a clear vision of the target processes including innovation / digital as the case may be
Provide in-depth cross-functional analysis for new business initiatives
- Represent Operations & IT in the preparation for approval committees for exceptional transaction or new activities committees (TAC / NAC)
- Leverage on close relationships with Business Representatives (Products, Sales, Coverage…), gather and analyze business initiatives in order to communicate and explain them effectively to each department involved
- Provide operational expertise to define solutions that meet / exceed the business, operations or finance requirements
- Assess feasibility and identify the setup, along with the appropriate level of controls, from an IT and Operations perspective to support exceptional transactions or new activities / products
Document business and functional requirements
- Design and document processes for different areas and teams (FO, Ops, Finance…)
- As appropriate, manage key projects (vertical or horizontal), bringing them to a successful conclusion (quality / cost / delay) by a close coordination of FO and ITO departments and other functions involved to achieve the objectives initially set
Minimize operational risk
- Seek to minimize operational risk by implementing sufficient regular controls, by measuring operational risk and taking actions to maintain it at an acceptable level
- Consider and/or design specific operational controls in the interest of mitigating operational risk
- Ensure appropriate escalation to management and / or Permanent Control (or compliance as appropriate) as soon as an issue remains unsolved beyond and above what can be reasonably handled within the considered remit
Technical and Behavioral Competencies
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager with Global Banking business-focused end-to-end change management experiences in the financial services or consulting environment:
- 8 to 12 years of experience
- Good In-depth knowledge of Front Office to Finance processing chains
- Good technical understanding of Global Banking products and especially Corporate Banking (Cash Management, Trade Finance…)
- Ability to interact appropriately in a non-hierarchical framework with a variety of stakeholders including SME from Operations or IT, business and senior management
- Comfortable operating with a strong level of autonomy and/or under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to think outside the box and to deal with novelty
- Strong written/verbal communication and reporting skills
- Strong team working and interpersonal skills
- Organized and delivery-focused, with attention to detail
- Proactive, proposing or taking own initiatives to prevent risks / issues
- Solid work ethic and high level of motivation
- Proficiency in Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel & Power point)
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Mandarin and/or French a plus