At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
We are currently seeking qualified talent to be responsible for the restructuring and collection or rehabilitation of the most complex problem Commercial & Industrial loans, both unsecured and secured by various types of collateral including Receivables, Inventory, Equipment, live or perishable agricultural products, and real property. Broad expertise required across all commercial and agricultural industries. Includes leading as Agent or influential participant in multi-lender syndications. This position is the most experienced level of Portfolio Officer job family and typically manages the largest relationships with high level of executive visibility. May act in a lead capacity over Analysts providing guidance and supports work flow.
Other Job Duties
- Evaluates collateral, loan documentation, and financial information to determine adequacy of collateral documentation and value, borrower's ability to repay. Develops appropriate risk mitigation and repayment action plans accordingly.
- Interacts with Senior Management, internal and external legal counsel to develop the optimal collection strategy after considering all borrower defensive options, and execute the strategy through well-developed objectives. Conducts negotiations with borrowers and borrowers’ counsels and makes necessary judgments based on conditions presented in order to protect the Bank's interest with appropriate risk mitigation and reward for risk, and to achieve maximum recovery in the most expeditious amount of time possible.
- As Agent and Participant, influences other syndicate members with persuasive reasoning. Provides advice and counsel to lending units in handling troubled loans.
- Analyzes and determines impact of bankruptcy filings; ensures protection of Bank's position as a creditor. Represents the Bank in court on litigation and bankruptcy cases. Directs all activities necessary to foreclose on real property held as collateral. Directs the liquidation of non-real property assets. Controls legal and other expenses associated with assets under management.
- Directs activities to ensure effective management and maintenance of properties including compliance with all environmental and regulatory requirements.
- Prepares credit documents as required to obtain approvals, provide a review of salient issues to senior management, and meet regulatory requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires highest knowledge and mastery of multiple job areas typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Viewed as the leading expert and/or resource within the field by peers within and outside the organization.
- Requires 12 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Accounting or Finance
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Must have proven excellent negotiating and execution skills.
- Demonstrates high level knowledge of corporate banking products
- Strong relationship management and business development abilities, analytical and problem solving skills, sales skills, and credit and credit quality skills Intermediate knowledge of agricultural products and services that result in successfully capitalizing on all opportunities to cross-sell the bank’s products
- Strong credit analysis and commercial underwriting skills, including accounting, financial statement and cash flow analysis experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of commercial lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation Strong at either writing up or reviewing all aspects and exhibits to: Credit Requests, Variances and Classified Loan reports.
- Proficient at reviewing leases, sales agreements, entity documents, appraisals, market studies, environmental reports, title reports, contractor agreements, development agreements.
- Proficiency with personal computers and related software packages such as Word and Excel, and other business machines.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-California-Newport BeachJob Type: Full-timeJob: Risk Management