Enterprise Privacy & Data Protection Principal
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
The Enterprise Privacy & Data Protection Principal leads the chief data office in its accountability to set the vision and establish and oversee implementation of the policy and data management framework for privacy and data protection (PDP) by the lines of business and functions across the enterprise. Additional responsibilities include:
- Designing and managing a principle-based PDP framework aligned with our business strategy, including the trust and best interests of our customers’ and team members (incl. “data subject rights”), while also meeting existing and emerging legal and regulatory requirements
- Collaborating with the relevant operational teams to ensure that Data Subject requests and complaints are addressed in a timely manner
- Ensuring identification and classification of personal and other controlled data across the enterprise and in enterprise metadata repositories
- Ensuring record retention in accordance with enterprise, legal, and regulatory requirements
- Partnering with IT and the chief information security office (CISO) functions (also first line of defense), as well as risk management, compliance, and legal (second line of defense), to ensure a holistic governance, control and management framework for PDP
- Communication and training of PDP requirements (GLBA, GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, cross-border transfer, and emerging regulations)
- Ensuring PDP is taken into account (“by design”) in the Bank’s services, products, and data architectures (incl. cloud), and promoting the use of data privacy and protection technology and methods
- Overseeing functions relating to registers, breach notifications/actions, and the overall 1LoD control framework.
- Ensuring alignment with applicable BNP Paribas Group policies and reporting frameworks
This is a new role for the Bank, requiring a leader with demonstrated experience, vision, and drive in a developing discipline with increasing importance. The role will functionally manage resources across BOW and CIB in addition to indirect / implicit leadership responsibilities. This role will support BNP Paribas’ US businesses at Bank of the West and the BNPP’s US Corporate and Investment Bank.
- Minimum of 12 years prior experience in and strong knowledge of privacy, data, operational risk management, information security, or related areas in IT at a bank with retail operations
- 5 years’ experience leading the design and implementation of PDP at a large bank subject to multiple PDP regulations (preferably CCPA and GDPR)
- 5 years people management experience, including remote working on and offshore
- Direct experience designing and managing enterprise-wide policies and procedures around data classification, as well as data security, access, privacy, storage, and retention.
- Experience and expertise communicating, collaborating, and leading change across multiple enterprise businesses and functions
- Experience with / strong working knowledge of data architecture and relevant technical control methods
- Relevant legal, consulting, or regulatory experience preferred
- CIPP/US, CIPM, or similar credentialing preferred
- Key competencies: technical/professional expertise; strong communication, collaboration, and teamwork; strategic perspective and change leader; initiative and focus on results
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.