At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
The Inspection Group, as the Bank's periodic control function (i.e., third line of defense), independently assesses the effectiveness of the permanent control function (i.e., first and second lines of defense) to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks. The Principal Audit Leader – Model Risk Management is fully responsible and knowledgeable on the day-to-day audit delivery for complex, integrated audit assignments.
Essential Job Functions
- Functions as a Model Risk Management Auditor within the Enterprise Risk Management Audit Team. The ERM Model Risk Auditor will play a key role in supporting the internal audit team to independently assess the design and effectiveness of the governance framework and internal controls (e.g., related to model risk management, capital planning, liquidity risk management, interest rate risk management, bank secrecy act, operational risk management practices).
- Leads large and complex, integrated audits as the Head of Assignment; and also contributes as a subject matter expert to audits led by other audit teams. Responsible for the related audit scoping, planning, evaluating, investigating, reporting, and supervising.
- Understands the underlying risks applicable to the area of audit responsibilities through continuous monitoring activities.
- Reviews and prepares risk assessments.
- Completes audit recommendation validation work or second level of supervisory review over findings.
- Communicates effectively, clearly, concisely, and accurately using written and verbal communications with all levels of management.
- Stays current on industry developments in affected areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Viewed as the leading expert and/or resource within the field by peers within and outside the organization.
- Manages assignments to ensure Bank of the West Inspection policies and procedures are adhered to on audit assignments.
- Contributes to the Board, Audit Committee, or Management reporting on an as needed basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications - External
- Strong audit, risk, compliance, banking, and/or product knowledge.
- Subject matter expert in model risk management.
- 12 years of experience evaluating enterprise risk management, finance and controls framework related to Models, Capital Markets, Asset and Liability Management, and Operational Risk.
- Bachelor's Degree in applicable and related field (e.g., quantitative finance, mathematics, statistics, economics, etc.); Master’s or PhD preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise performing risk assessments, planning and conducting audit assignments, forming audit opinions, and presenting them effectively in audit reports.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating/auditing model processes in line with US regulatory standards.
- Demonstrated expertise in applications and tools used for modeling, back testing, and forecasting (e.g., Excel/VBA).
- Demonstrated expertise assessing risks and controls implemented by 1st and 2nd lines of defense functions.
- Demonstrated collaboration with others to assure that Inspection objectives are successfully attained.
Working Location Statement
This position has the option to work in one of our key hubs (San Francisco, CA; San Ramon, CA; Tempe, AZ; Omaha, NE) or to work remotely as long as it is in within our 27 state working footprint which includes AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IA, IL, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, WY, NY.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment-qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.