Operational Risk, Manager
At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
We are currently seeking qualified talent to be responsible for working with the Bank's Operational Risk team to implement enterprise-level standards, policies and governance within the BOTW lines of business. Responsible for coordinating planning, development and implementation of all activities and programs associated with operational risk management within a BOTW business units.
- Within assignment has a broad range of independence ensures the Operational Risk Program is working effectively to report on the LOB's risk posture and rein in excessive risks/risky activities.
- Undertakes transversal & vertical assessments (such as RCSAs or RCAs) of exposures, identifying risks, evaluating their potential impact and reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of existing controls. Tracks resolution of issues. Advises line management on opportunities for improvements.
- May include formal reporting on the state of operational risks.
- Based on assigned role, prioritizes Operational Risk activities to reduce income volatility for the bank and increase risk transparency while being attentive to increasing the level of customer service and satisfaction.
- May participate in evaluating new products, changes to the channels through which products are offered, and technology impact assessments for their impacts on the bank's or LOB’s operational risk profile.
- For assigned Control Programs, such as 3rd Party, Information Security, Business Continuity, Records, Fraud, etc. acts to maximize benefit of program components.
- Work with other risk functions to develop and implement controls that mitigate risks.
- Once the controls are in place, continues to monitor control compliance and the prevalent risk environment recommending incremental recommendations for improvement to ensure that exposures are kept at acceptable levels.
- Oversees the execution of the operational risk management standards and procedures; developing operational risk management analysis reports; developing approval procedures and guidelines on operational risk limits by type of product and/or transaction (where appropriate); and in establishing management and administrative procedures to ensure adherence to policies.
- Advises business unit managers on operational risk management issues. May recommend possible solutions.
- Operational Risk Department Assigned responsibility for specific areas of the Bank's Corporate Operational Risk Management function.
- Business Group Operational Risk Manager Directs a key segment of LOB OR activities in accordance with the Bank's operational risk management policies. ORM may oversee Level 2 Control credible challenge to validate controls are in place and working as intended. At LOB/Support Function level confirms standards for controls functions (BCP, Loss Mitigation, Information Security, 3rd Party Service Providers, etc.) are implemented as required. Resolves with line management gaps or escalates ORM.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
- Typically has advanced knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with understanding of the impact of work on other areas of the organization.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Business Admin
- Volcker Rule The Bank has identified certain units as Trading Desks to engage in Permitted Proprietary Trading Activities in accordance with the Volcker Rule.
- Will this position be on a Trading Desk that engages in Permitted Proprietary Trading Activities?.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.