In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
At BNP Paribas, we strongly believe in nurturing potential, which is why we have created The BNP Paribas IMPACT Program. We are looking to find the next generation of leaders who are creating an IMPACT in their community by supporting their education and investing in their future careers.
Selected winners who join The IMPACT Program will receive a $7,000 bursary, a paid summer internship, and be paired with a leader of the Bank who will provide ongoing mentorship throughout their internship.
We are looking to find leaders who are contributing to the advancement and betterment of their community. IMPACT leaders exemplify innovation, ambition, and drive within their communities.
As an intern, you will benefit from a 4 month program that aims to give you the tools to develop yourself and discover your potential through customized trainings, networking sessions and transversal projects.
More information about the program available on our website:
The position at a glance
The RISK function of BNP Paribas constitutes the Second Line of Defense of the Bank. It aims at independently reviewing, assessing, challenging and communicating on the level of risk generated by the various business lines and activities within the Group. Hence, RISK both protects and serves the bank by acting as a key contributor to its long-term development.
RISK Mission Statements:
- To advise the Bank’s Management on operational risk assessments
- To report and alert Bank Management of the status of risks to which the Bank is exposed
- To contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies
- To contribute to the development and growth of the risk culture within the Group
Global Markets RISK ORM & Functions is part of RISK ORM CIB (Corporate & Institutional Banking), acting as the Second Line of Defense for the Global Markets Business Line (“GM-BL”), and for the Functions, in the Americas. The primary role of the team is to provide relevant RISK and CIB senior management (both for GM-BL and for the Functions) a comprehensive, transparent, exhaustive and consistent front to back and IT view of Operational Risk across activities in the Americas.
The Canadian RISK platform was created in early 2020, with the main mandate of the RISK Shared-Service platform is to support and deliver high-quality services to the U.S. RISK teams.
The intern will be located within the RISK ORM Canadian Platform, which is providing second line of defense, Operational Risk Management services to internal activities across Americas, and will more specifically contribute to the various Global Market Business lines, such as Global Equities, Global Macro, Global Credit, Operations and IT, in addition to various functions.
The intern will join a dynamic team, exposed to a vast range of different tasks and projects.
The main areas of responsibility for the Intern are the following
1. Assist in supporting and contributing to second-line-of-defense effective challenge activities and independent testing on:
- The Operational Risk Management (ORM) framework,
- Operational risks and control inputs assessments across various Business lines
- Quarterly RCSA trigger event reviews (RCSA – Risk, Control and Self Assessment)
- TAC/NAC activities (New transaction and product activity)
2. Support the preparation of reporting views to Senior Management with regards to:
- Internal Control Committees (ICC) for GM-BL and Functions,
- Various projects and reporting initiatives (TAC/NAC, trending Incident reporting across business lines, ORM and KRI reporting (Key risk indicators), and other pertinent projects as deemed necessary by management)
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
TRAINING AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPERIENCE
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), with some VBA or other automation skills an added value
· Keen interest in following the evolving banking/investment industry trends especially as it pertains to new industry trends, regulatory impacts, derivative and non-derivative products changes, and other events that could have an operational or IT impact on the bank
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Prioritization of tasks / organization and ability to multi-task
· Results oriented
· Attention to detail
· Flexible and autonomous
- Currently enrolled full-time in an accredited Canadian post-secondary program
- Must be able to work in the local premises
- Be 18 and over
- Have at least one more semester left after completion of internship
· The program is opened to all students currently enrolled full time in a Canadian University and meet the following eligibility criteria
· GPA 3.0 or above
· Pursuing an Undergraduate or Masters’ degree
· Has at least one session left of studies after the completion of the internship
· Able to work full time in Montréal during May-August 2024
· Cannot be a family member, directly or indirectly, of any current BNP Paribas employee, regardless of location
You’ll need to upload a few additional documents as part of your application:
· A cover letter, written in French or English (maximum of 750 words), briefly explaining how you’ve made an IMPACT in your community, and why you want to join BNP Paribas and your interest in the role.
- Transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Recommendation letter from some one who can attest to your IMPACT.
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal’s Top Employers 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified - Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **
Discover the different professions within BNP Paribas: Audit, Compliance, Risk and Legal
If it is your ambition to work in a profession that entrusts you with a high degree of responsibility and gives you the chance to contribute to strategic decision-making at BNP Paribas, the following roles might be ideal for you to consider.Find out more
Why should I apply?
Basically, why would you want to join BNP Paribas over any other company?
BECAUSE YOU'RE THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WANTS...
What if we told you that working in our Group isn’t quite what you might think? At BNP Paribas, we do a multitude of different jobs that are constantly evolving to meet the expectations of our clients and society as a whole. Whether through everyday tasks or major projects, doing one of our jobs means making a personal commitment to taking sustainable action.
Feeling good about your job means bringing your whole self to work and being who you are. It’s also about having the resources you need to achieve a healthy work-life balance. Both of these are major commitments at BNP Paribas.
At BNP Paribas, developing your skills is as important to us as it is to you. And the skills you learn with us will help you through the rest of your working life.