Operational Permanent Controller
BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 192,000 employees – including more than 146,000 in Europe and over 4,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
The RISK function is responsible for monitoring, measuring and controlling mainly credit, market, and operational risks across the Group. RISK is independent from the operating divisions, lines of business, territories and reports directly to Group. The RISK Function aims at being a partner of the businesses by contributing to their sustainable development. It is also a gatekeeper to ensure risks taken remain compatible with the Group’s Risk Appetite and its strategy. RISK teams engage in an upstream dialogue with the business to understand their strategy, objectives, deal and then RISK expresses its opinions and recommendations.
As part of its Transformation journey RISK decided to regroup some activities in Lisbon with the ambition to reach excellence in the services delivered and build the platform of the future.
ROLE AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Locally, the RISK Operational Permanent Controller is responsible for the overall RISK Lisbon Hub permanent control framework (PCF) on which the Head of RISK Lisbon Hub is accountable. The principal activities of the RISK streams in Lisbon cover management of market risk, credit risk, liquidity, operational risk and risk application/ service solutions and reporting.
As an Operational Permanent Controller, your missions will consist in:
- Management of the maintenance and adaption of the permanent control framework (PCF) for the above RISK Lisbon Hub teams including
- Policy and procedure management
- Conducting risk and control self-assessments (RCSA)
- Analysis and reporting of operational risk incidents (historical and potential)
- Key risk indicator reporting
- Control testing and control evidence reviews
- Definition of risk and resulting controls and actions plans where required
- Recommendation management
- Internal control committee (ICC) organisation and reporting
- Ad hoc reporting
- BIA/BCP management
- Incoming services opinion and Service Legal Agreements review
Adapting the PCF strategy to include participation to and utilisation of RISK, Group and external innovation schemes, communities and tools as well as taking account of emerging regulatory changes at a global and/or local territory level. Ensure the set-up is in line with regulatory expectations.
- Demonstrate a forward-looking approach to identify and mitigate operational risks within the RISK Lisbon Hub.
- Leading as a subject matter expert to RISK teams on implementation and use of permanent control framework approaches process and tools, as well as IT projects or subjects requiring an IT contribution to the permanent control.
- Support the operational managers to understand, implement, regularly review and adapt the whole chain of their permanent control framework.
- Defining, anticipating and managing the needs of internal clients and other stakeholders as well as devising and implementing solutions to meet these needs.
- Supporting internal relationships across RISK, the Territory and the Group by applying the appropriate skill sets, behaviours and approaches to ensure cordial relations, cooperation and solutions.
- Defining appropriate client satisfaction surveys. Implementing any corrective actions required from the results.
- Staying informed and participating in projects, change management and innovation initiatives.
- Managing the timely formal reporting of the permanent control status to the various internal RISK control committees as well as ad hoc reporting to Group, internal/external auditors or regulators.
- Managing the RISK Lisbon Hub business continuity management, business impact analysis and disaster recovery in coordination with local territory management.
- Defining and Identifying the RISK activities that are critical in order to face an Extreme Risk Scenario (ERS).
- Ensuring regular reporting on the status of the PCF on operational risks is communicated to the Management and the RISK Internal Control Committee.
We are looking for an experienced candidate in audit / control, willing to set up, animate our control framework and adapt it to our fast growing and very challenging environment
- 5-10+ years of experience in the banking industry / advisory
- Perfect fluency in English
- International profile
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and consult at all levels
- An entrepreneurial attitude and a curious mind
- Ability to report efficiently and in a timely manner
- Clearly exhibited analytical, logical and decision making capabilities
- Good Excel / PowerPoint command.
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.