At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for overseeing and supervising the underwriting of residential real estate loans ensuring balance between growth objectives and credit quality objectives of the Bank. Is proactive in problem detection and resolution. Monitors customer service standards by assisting in problem solving and resolution of operational problems. Supervises employees by setting and assessing performance goals and establishing work schedules and priorities. Responsible for ensuring that the Bank complies with required laws and regulations.
Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
- Ensures compliance with the Bank's credit policies. Exhibits good judgment and ensures accurate and balanced loan presentations.
- Monitors loan packages for completeness and accuracy.
- Underwrites loans within specific authority.
- Responsible for training and supervising of underwriting staff. Assists in training branch and other line staff.
- Communicates regularly with Loan Representatives, branch officers and customers to ensure quality service is being provided and to help structure complex loan transactions.
- Assists in the development and implementation of customer service standards, and provides written reports on service standards, including turnaround time. Ensures that customer service levels and stated service standards are met.
- Recommends new policies and procedures to improve overall operations.
- Keeps informed of trends and developments in the local real estate market, as well as changing rules and regulations pertaining to both private, insured mortgages, and FNMA. Manages the underwriting staff's pipeline to ensure all loans are effectively processed to fund on time. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Understands basic management approaches such as work scheduling, prioritizing, coaching and process execution.
- Requires advanced knowledge within a specific discipline typically gained through extensive work experience and/or education.
- Requires 7 years minimum Mortgage Underwriting experience.
- Requires 3-5 years of leadership experience in field.
- Bachelor's Degree/Business Administration or related area or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- High School Diploma or GED Required
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Management skills.
- DE/SAR Designations a plus
- Analytical and research; compile statistics.
- Effective problem solving.
- Training skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Complete knowledge of mortgage credit processing and underwriting.
- Complete knowledge of loan documents and real estate terminology, FHLMC/FHA/VA.FNMA guidelines and portfolio lending practices, and State and Federal agency policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Bank’s lending policies and procedures.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-TempeJob Type: Full-timeJob: Mortgage