About the job
- RISK GM Metrics Market Risks is responsible for the transversal processes that provide high quality risk analysis and/or the control of Market Risks and limits
- This responsibility is both for the day to day operation and the long term transformation of the processes so that they are enhanced through the use of new technologies where appropriate. The team primarily focuses on established processes such as Value-At-Risk and Limits monitoring, which in time be expanded to other market risk metrics. The RISK GM Metrics Market Risk team has regular dialogue with other RISK GM streams, Chief Data Officers, RISK Systems teams, RISK Reporting teams and Front Office teams across all areas of Global Markets with the aim of ensuring that there is complete and accurate market risk representation and reporting
- In addition the team manages the production and distribution of market risk reports across the organisation, covering all Business Lines and market risk types. As part of this responsibility, the team seeks to improve the current reporting framework to harmonize and automate processes where possible
- The analyst are also in charge of initiatives to enhance anticipation, first level analysis and reporting around market risks
Your Main Activities Are
- The successful candidate will take responsibility in key areas that are covered by Metrics Market Risk & Limits in order to fulfil the mission statement of RISK Global Markets with regards to the monitoring and reporting of market risks and limits for the European trading desk perimeter
- The role encompasses an ongoing objective to migrate the monitoring framework into industrialised solutions with a keen oversight on the quality of market risk data. A key feature of the role is also the collaboration and coordination with monitoring and production teams covering these processes located in other hubs/regions
- Monitoring and reporting of market risk metrics over Global Markets Business Lines activities (Europe, Global)
- Manage the day-to-day operations
- for Basel 2.5 metrics such as Value-At-Risk (VaR), Stressed Value-At-Risk (sVaR) and Incremental Risk Charge
- for the main sensitivities controlled and monitored with Market Risk Limits
- for other market risk metrics which will be added to the scope for example Global Stress Tests, sensitivities/deformations outside of limits, etc
- Clear communication with used of agreed templates to RISK GM and Global Markets concerning the results of the daily monitoring and excesses
- Notification of excesses and escalation according to the Market Risk Limits procedures
- Analysis and Review of market risks metrics and excesses
- Provide metric variation analysis on a regular or ad-hoc basis to inform related business processes; for example to provide the initial analysis of a requested temp/perm limits
- Follow-up on the progress of requested temp/perm limits approvals
- Support the periodic reviews of limits in conjunction with the limits calibration process
- Contribute to developments around the monitoring of VaR/sVaR, explanation of movements and back-testing event investigation enhancements
- Propose enhancements to the Market Risk Metrics framework in order to drive further efficiency and consistency
- In collaboration with RISK GM Digital, contribute to the transformation of the production processes
- Improve the existing monitoring tools with a view to improved efficiency and consistency
- Participate to the setup and development of dynamic dashboards and tools
- Provide an oversight on Market Risk data availability and quality
- Monitor and report risk data quality issues
- Manage the daily VaR signoff process at FBL/VR desk level and coordinate the aggregation and sign-off at GBL level
- Promote the use of data governance tools to monitor data quality
- Provide quantitative and qualitative support for the Market Risk Operational Committee or other forums such as the Data Monitoring Committee (DMC)
- Contribute to the identification, escalation and resolution of data quality and data integrity issues
Profile and Skills to Success
- Effectively deliver complex oral and written messages in a clear, structured, accurate and concise manner, based on facts
- Motivation to collaborate and share ideas and knowledge with team member
- Capacity for critical thinking, expressing good judgement and a sense of responsibility
- Ability to make clear and timely decisions which are based on judgement on ’business as usual’ topics
- Relevant studies in a quantitative based subject such as Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Sciences, Economics, Econometrics, Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience in MS Office tools including VBA as well as an interest in developing practical solutions to data analysis problems. Additionally some knowledge of computing programming languages (Python or R for instance)
- A previous experience in financial market
- English Fluency
About the Team
- The RISK department aims at being a partner of the businesses by contributing to their sustainable development, but also a gatekeeper to ensure risks taken remain compatible with the Group’s Risk Appetite and its strategy. RISK teams engage in an upstream dialogue with the business to better understand their strategy, objectives, deal and then RISK expresses its opinion and recommendations. The RISK function is independent, reporting directly to the CEO and Group Board
- Our risk management function (“RISK”) is recognised in the industry as being first tier
- Our main missions are to
- Advise the Bank on risk appetite definition; credit risk, counterparty risk, market risk, liquidity risk, operational risk, cyber risk and other potential risks
- Contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies through analysis, valuation and documentation
- Report and alert bank management of the status of risks to which the bank is exposed
Why joining BNP Paribas?
· Leading banking institution
BNP Paribas is a leader in the Eurozone, and a prominent international banking institution with strong roots in Europe's banking history. It has a presence in 65 countries, with around 190 000 Employees – including more than 145 000 in Europe.
· Our presence in Portugal
Since 1985, BNP Paribas was one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, the Group has around 7.100 employees across several entities operating directly in the territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
· International reach
Thanks to its international presence and regular and close collaboration among its different entities, BNP Paribas has the resources to support all clients with financing, investment, savings and protection solutions that help make their projects a success. BNP Paribas holds key positions in its three core operating divisions:
- Retail Banking, a division that brings together all of the Group’s retail activities and specialised business lines;
- Investment & Protection Services that include specialised businesses offering a wide range of savings, investment and protection services;
- Corporate & Institutional Banking division that offers tailored financial solutions for corporate and institutional clients.
· Diversity and Inclusion commitment
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency, which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
· Commitment towards work/life balance
At BNP Paribas we care about our employees wellbeing and promote a culture of good integration between work and rest. We believe our employees have rich personal lives outside of work, being fundamental to be disconnected from work to recharge both physically and mentally. Only through this balance we may all be at our best while working.
· Remote Working Conditions
At BNP Paribas, we embrace a Smart Working framework based on trust, autonomy and collaboration. Within this framework, eligible employees can benefit from flexible remote working modalities adapted to our hybrid working environment. To guarantee a comfortable and efficient working set-up, eligible employees are provided with both the office and home equipment, are entitled to an equipment allowance and can benefit from exclusive partnerships to purchase additional equipment at reduced prices.
To find out more on why you should join BNP Paribas visit https://bnpp.lk/why-BNP-Paribas-Portugal
* Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
* In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.