London - Long Term Internship 2020 - Risk Analyst
BNP Paribas Overview
BNP Paribas has a presence in 75 countries with more than 185,000 employees, including 145,000 in Europe. It ranks highly in its two core activities: Retail Banking & Services and Corporate & Institutional Banking.
At BNP Paribas, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realize their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe, but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asia Pacific offices and we are a committed player in all markets.
Strong risk management, combined with the stability that comes from being part of one of the largest banking groups in the world, underpin our success. Joining us, you’ll become an integral part of a dynamic team that spans nationalities, cultures and backgrounds, drawing together people from around the globe and reflecting our commitment to international placements.
RISK is globally accountable for the definition of official risk policies, guidelines and procedures, as well as the quantification and monitoring of risks taken by the various business lines, to ensure alignment with risk appetite and policies. At BNP Paribas, a well-developed risk management culture is based on a long-term vision, a committed management, and a strong and independent organisation.
Enterprise RISK Architecture (ERA) is a transversal stream within RISK focussed on risk analytics, modelling and industrialisation. Within ERA, the RISK SYSTEMS team (RS) focusses on risk methodologies implementation and related system aspects. It contributes to the definition of the Group’s risk appetite, its risk decision making process and the optimization of capital
allocation to support the development of the Operating Divisions. RS supports with full commitment all ERA initiatives and actions.
The position sought is for a risk intern in the Risk ERA SYSTEMS Service Transition Team in London. This team is responsible for the full range of analysis tasks and testing across both user-driven and regulatory projects addressing both methodological and systems aspects.
An intern within Service transition plans the changes required in a manner that ensures the integrity of all identified business assets, service assets and configurations can be maintained as they evolve through the Service Transition lifecycle. They ensure that issues, risks and deviations are identified and reported to the appropriate stakeholders and decision makers promptly. Finally the intern co-ordinates activities across projects and service teams where required.
- Testing Strategy and Orchestration: Responsibility for the elaboration of the Testing strategy and the preparation, in collaboration with business analysis and development teams, of test plans to ensure the technical and functional system changes are adequately tested. The team is also involved in the execution of some of the test plans as defined in the Testing Strategy Documentation and based on use cases designed with the stakeholders. Participation along with the Project Management team to the RISK – Enterprise Risk Architecture (ERA) coordination of user acceptance testing to ensure the changes are validated and business requirements are met.
- Monitoring SME: Be responsible for defining Monitoring design standards for other RS teams to follow, while actively working on guiding and consulting on projects/ releases and ongoing operational support and maintenance activities.
- Transition: Responsibility in collaboration with BA & RISK Analysis and Client Services (RACS) for the transition and soft-landing of projects into production, operational acceptance, user on-boarding and training. Participation in collaboration with RACS who should be involved at inception of projects to the design and documentation of processes, procedures and service monitoring.
- Ad-hoc Analysis: In additional to the analysis performed within the project, provide Ad-hoc functional analysis to investigate aspects or issues associated with risk calculations or help resolve regulatory recommendations. Contribution to the costing and estimates of upcoming projects as well as the analysis of some Maintenance and Enhancement tasks.
The intern should possess a passion for delivery and be ready to adopt more agile working when need be.
The candidate's main responsibilities are:
- Help define the functional specifications for intelligent tools for data and analytics exploring, filtering and extracting data.
- Improve market and counterparty risk production by implementing new data quality controls.
- Analyse complex financial data, provide interpretations and relevant data visualizations for the management teams.
- Contribute in enhancing production/reporting tools to improve the accuracy and the timeliness of the various risk calculations and reduce the operational risk.
Skills & Experience Required:
Education: Master degree in Finance / IT / Mathematics; Engineering
Languages: English essential and used for documentation.
- Solid IT background preferably with good knowledge of financial products
- Good written and verbal communication
- Problem solving approach and good intuition in risk measurement
- Pragmatic approach to handle the production process and to deal with exceptions
- Team work: Know how to work in a team and across teams
- Accuracy: Attention to details and quality of deliverables.
- Client focus: Understanding of customer service and provide client with appropriate solution.
- Be a role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good conduct
- Demonstrate proactivity, transparency and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
- Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure.
- Location: London
- Duration: 6-9 months
- Start date: ASAP
- Salary: Competitive