Legal Counsel, Equities
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 17,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 markets with more than 196,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career in an international business environment that is fast-paced, diverse and focuses on creating high-value relationships with our clients. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as a working environment where you’re valued as part of the team.
* excluding partnerships
The role is for a mid-level transactional lawyer in the Global Markets Equities legal team in Hong Kong to provide legal advice to business lines and senior management within the APAC region on a wide range of structured products and OTC transactions.
The successful candidate will be expected to lead transactions from a legal perspective and will have to support and directly liaise and coordinate with various business lines and internal stakeholders within the bank.
The role will involve:
- Providing legal advice on equities structured products issuances and OTC transactions related matters;
- Providing structuring, documentation, execution management and legal support in respect of all structured transactions and new business initiatives or projects;
- Advising on the establishment, on-going maintenance and renewal of structured product programmes, working together with Compliance and other internal stakeholders to advise on relevant regulatory requirements;
- Coordinating execution of transactions by working closely with BNP Paribas’ clients and marketers/structurers during execution phase of transactions, liaising with internal and external advisers and other relevant third parties. Day-to-day responsibilities include: (a) reviewing and drafting term sheets and confirmations; (b) reviewing transaction legal documentation prepared by external legal advisers and BNP Paribas’ counterparties; (c) providing legal sign off on ad hoc transactions; (d) advising internal stakeholders on legal documentation and procedure;
- Participating in Transaction Approval Committees and/or other internal committees to identify relevant legal risks in the relevant jurisdictions, conduct legal analysis of new transactions or activities and to represent the relevant business lines in the committee meetings;
- Keeping up-to-date with new regulatory requirements in various jurisdictions where we have a presence.
- Building and maintaining constructive working relationships with law firms in the Asia-Pacific jurisdictions covered by CIB Legal in Hong Kong and with peer professionals at other investment banks; and
- Sharing legal knowledge and know-how within CIB Legal, providing/participating in in-house training to the business and other functions and to other team members within CIB Legal.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
• Proactive, self-motivated and confident individual, able to manage a large and diverse workload and interact comfortably and convincingly with all levels of management within the bank.
• Experience advising on equity derivatives transactions, having product knowledge in structured complex transactions. Some experience of cash equities would also be preferred, but is not essential.
• Technical knowledge of derivatives documentation, ISDA definitions and structured financing framework.
• Outgoing and robust personality, capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team.
• Able to deal with a robust and demanding internal client base, including by handling multiple matters simultaneously and by meeting tight deadlines when required.
Specific Qualifications Required
• Legally qualified in a common law jurisdiction with 3-8 years of experience in a major international law firm or top tier investment bank.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English.
• Chinese language fluency (reading and writing) required.