In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
The Legal department in APAC is responsible for providing legal advice and support to management, businesses and functions across the Asia Pacific region. Business lines supported include Corporate & Institutional Banking and Wealth Management. Functions supported include IT & Operations, Compliance, HR and Procurement.
This position, based in Hong Kong, is within the Transversal Legal team and will be part of the Digital and Intellectual Property Platform. The role will support management, functions and other business lines in APAC in relation to matters having a digital, technology or intellectual property related component including: technology outsourcing, data protection, cybersecurity, e-signature, trademarks, cloud computing, blockchain, digital assets, artificial intelligence, electronic platforms etc. This will include:
• reviewing and advising on initiatives, projects and transactions.
• reviewing, advising and negotiating procurement contracts related to these topics.
• reviewing and advising on regulatory developments and requirements.
The position will also entail being a member of the Digital & IP Platform. The Platform is a global legal practice organisation bringing together lawyers globally from all business lines on digital and intellectual property topics. The lawyers of the Platform may be called to work on global projects or other projects beyond their location.
This position will report hierarchically to the Head of Transversal, APAC Legal and contractually to the Global Co-Managers of the Digital and IP Platform, reporting to the Deputy Group General Counsel who is also the Global Head of the Digital & IP Platform.
Provide legal support for initiatives, projects and other matters for internal clients, by:
Advice, negotiation and projects
• Providing high quality, efficient and risk-based legal advice.
• Drafting and negotiating legal documentation effectively including general commercial contracts, technology procurement and outsourcing contracts, platform and electronic services agreements, data protection provisions, and intellectual property licence and collaboration agreements.
• Participating in or supporting relevant committees, working groups and forums to present legal risks.
Coordination and Risk Anticipation
• Coordinating legal advice, collaborating with non-legal-team stakeholders and managing legal aspects of projects and issues in Hong Kong and across APAC.
• Anticipating and assessing potential issues or risks resulting from new project proposals and new laws and regulations in APAC.
• Working with and maintaining strong relationships with our colleagues in local and global Legal teams and internal stakeholders.
• Be a member of the global Digital and Intellectual Property Platform practice group, engaging with its work and being an ambassador for this organisation.
Know-how and training
• Keeping up to date and summarizing legal, market and regulatory developments of the in-scope topics .
• Drafting guidance notes and templates with the ability to tailor versions for legal and non-legal audiences.
• Conducting training and giving presentations to regional and global teams.
Technical and Behavioral Competencies required
• Have an outgoing and robust personality capable of working for a diverse and demanding internal client base with often conflicting priorities. Have sufficient gravitas to advise business lines directly and to communicate legal risk effectively whilst maintaining and enhancing the Legal team’s relationship with our internal client.
• Have knowledge of intellectual property, technology and data protection laws related risk issues.
• Confident not only in advising on Hong Kong legal issues but also handling and coordinating matters in relation to jurisdictions across the Asia Pacific region.
• Be familiar with banking products in particular corporate banking, financial derivatives and capital markets products.
• Ability to independently manage and coordinate legal projects and drive them through to completion.
Experience and Qualifications required
• Lawyer qualified to practise in Hong Kong or other common law jurisdiction with a minimum of 5 years PQE.
• Relevant practical experience gained at an international law firm or an investment bank in a technology, intellectual property or general commercial team or other relevant areas.
• Well-trained from good law firm or top institution.
• Excellent standard of English.
• Written and spoken Mandarin Chinese strongly preferred.