In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
A central team of technical experts, the Legal team provides specialised in-house advisory services related to all aspects of Securities Services. They work closely with the heads of business and partner with the various leadership teams providing technical legal advice and support. A primary area of focus for this team is effectively managing key legal risk through appropriate level of controls over the business. They are also responsible for the review, development and oversight of legal policy implementation.
Reporting lines: Legal Counsel’s reporting line is to the Head of Legal for BNP Paribas Securities Services, Singapore. Legal Counsel will be required to work collaboratively with other BNP Paribas Securities Services lawyers locally and overseas (particularly in Asia Pacific).
Number of staff supervised: Nil
Location Coverage: This position is to principally service the legal needs of BNP Paribas Securities Services (and its subsidiaries) in Singapore, and any other locations (including Malaysia) as directed by the Head of Legal for BNP Paribas Securities Services, Singapore.
General Requirements: This role requires the Legal Counsel to possess maturity and commercial judgement and experience with demonstrated relationship management ability and excellent interpersonal skills. The Legal Counsel will also need to communicate effectively to influence and affect change in behaviour and process and have the strength to maintain their independence of views in all circumstances. The Legal Counsel will need to demonstrate applied knowledge of principles and practices of financial services law in Singapore. Strength in broad banking and securities, futures, derivatives law and product knowledge of custody, securities and derivatives clearing, settlement, and managed fund operations would be very beneficial. Previous legal experience with another custodian bank would be viewed favourably. The Legal Counsel will have proven and effective analytical skills always seeking accuracy and quality in results.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Taking an active part in the negotiation and establishment of agreements for new clients or new deals with existing clients. This may take the form of supporting sales and relationship managers in their commercial negotiations, or directly engaging with client’s legal advisors to resolve technical issues.
- Providing legal and regulatory advice to the business on new products and services and proactively anticipating legal issues and identifying legal requirements.
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting agreements (including amendments) relating to the business and other service providers, including sub-custodian and sub-clearers.
- Identify and mitigate legal risk within the business by implementing appropriate legal controls and policies where necessary.
- Drafting legal disclaimers, reviewing incidents and providing legal advice in respect of good value claims.
- Developing and maintaining standard legal documentation for all products and services offered in Singapore taking into account local requirements and global standards.
- Keeping up to date with the regulatory and legal environment in Singapore and applying required changes to BNP Paribas Securities Services’ framework including standard documentation.
- Engaging and managing relationships with local external legal advisors on the BNP Paribas group panel.
- Providing reporting to BNP Paribas Securities Services’ Head of Legal Affairs Pacific, local BNP Paribas Securities Services Committees, and local management as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate should have minimum 4 years post qualification experience in the financial services sector from a top tier law firm or alternatively from another custodian bank. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to operate independently and to apply judgement and knowledge to various situations, including regulation evaluation and oversight of any subsequent implementation.
The candidate will have legal technical knowledge and qualifications and will have awareness in industry and organisational standards and possess the ability to apply this knowledge in supporting the BNP Paribas group legal framework. The candidate will be familiar with the Singapore financial services legal environment and have a good understanding of banking and securities, futures and derivatives laws.
With demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional and technical development, the candidate is committed to staying a step ahead – and as such possesses the ability to anticipate and identify areas of focus or concern with regards to key risk and legal management.
- Client Focus: Customer service, building customer loyalty
- Excellence: Continuous Improvement
- Innovation: Initiative, Work Standards
- Team Orientation: Contributing to team success
- Respect: Act with integrity, build trust & collaboration
- Fun: Promote an environment where people enjoy working together
Job Specific Competencies
- Technical / Professional Knowledge: Demonstrates a high level of technical and professional skills/knowledge in job related areas. Keeps abreast of current developments and trends in area of expertise.
- Planning & Execution: Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages own time and resources to meet deadlines and quality standards.
- Team Orientation: Works with the team and the broader organisation towards shared goals and treats all colleagues and clients as partners.
- Collaborative Approach: Supports and shows respect for others. Puts people first, and works effectively with individuals, teams and clients.
- Impact & Influence: Creates a positive and professional impact on others. Uses effective strategies to win others over. Exhibits persuasive representation of team and business objectives.
- Individual Leadership: Uses an appropriate interpersonal style to inspire and guide colleagues towards goal achievement. Adjusts behaviour to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals.
- Responsiveness: Adapts when facing new or unforeseen situations. Delivers on time the required service.
- Resilience: Continues to work effectively and pursue goals when faced with obstacles, periods of change and uncertainty, or resistance from others. Maintains effectiveness in uncertain or ambiguous situations
• Degree qualified in Singapore Law. Being also qualified in Malaysia Law would be an advantage.
• Technically specific qualifications or evidence of ongoing development for area of specialisation
Key Systems Experience
MS Word advanced user.
MS PowerPoint efficient.