Assisting the Head of Legal, Australia and New Zealand in the provision of legal advice and support to, and management of the legal risk of, the Corporate and Investment Bank ex. BPSS (CIB), and support functions for BNP Paribas in Australia and New Zealand (the “Territory”).
- Providing legal support primarily for CIB Businesses (primarily Corporate Coverage, FIC, Investment Bank APAC, Transaction Banking, Global Markets, DCM, Treasury) operating in the Territory. The support required involves the provision of legal advice on banking and finance transactions and products and related documentation and security (PPSR) registrations. The work may include advice on syndicated and bilateral loans, security over assets, trade finance, cash management, workouts and restructurings, derivatives, securities and markets. This may involve involvement in credit, new activity, transaction approval and other business approval processes.
- Providing legal advice to support functions (potentially including Operations, Facilities, Human Resources, Brand & Communications, Risk and Compliance).
- Providing legal advice and support to Businesses, Functions (especially Compliance) on regulatory matters.
- Generally assisting in management of the legal risk of all the CIB business lines and functions in the Territory. This will involve participation in legal risk reporting and coordinating with the Regional Legal team as necessary.
- Assisting in setting up and implementing legal policies, procedures, guidelines and best practices.
- Coordination with specialist regional Legal teams (including Corporate Banking Legal, Global Markets Legal) as required.
- Keeping up to date with the regulatory and legal environment in the Territory and assisting in ensuring Businesses and Functions are kept updated.
- Engaging local external legal advisors where necessary in accordance with Legal policies and procedures.
Technical and Behavioural Competencies required
- Sound knowledge of principles and practices of law and regulation as applicable to banking and financial services, particularly banking, in Australia
- Experience with good law firm or financial institution
- Team player, willing to work hard and cooperate closely with other members of the Legal team and with the Business teams to achieve success.
- Ability to keep up-to-date with legal and regulatory developments in the Territory.
- Intellectually curious and enthusiastic about building experience.
Experience and Qualifications required
- Degree qualified in Law
- Current practicing certificate