In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 17,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 73 markets with more than 196,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
BNP Paribas offers you an exciting career in an international business environment that is fast-paced, diverse and focuses on creating high-value relationships with our clients. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as a working environment where you’re valued as part of the team.
* excluding partnerships
The APAC Corporate Banking Legal team is part of the wider Legal team and supports a broad range of Corporate Banking business lines across APAC. It covers a wide variety of work, from structured / secured and syndicated lending (e.g. Loan Capital Markets, Commodity Finance, Energy, Natural Resources & Project Finance (ENRPE), Media & Telecom Finance, Real Estate Finance, Supply Chain Finance, Trade Finance and Transportation Finance) and related functions (Agency and Risk) through to Coverage and Transaction Banking (including corporate lending and flow banking such as Cash Management and Trade Services products). The team also handles some debt recovery, insolvency and restructuring work for the Value Preservation Group.
Members of the dedicated Corporate Banking Legal Team are all based in Hong Kong or Singapore but work closely with generalist lawyers in specific countries of the APAC region.
Each of the lawyers in the Corporate Banking Legal team is a general banking lawyer in that they must be able to pick up queries and transactions from any of the Corporate Banking business lines, but each also maintains a core area of specific expertise and interest, ensuring that across the team there is a depth of knowledge, experience and expertise in each of those areas.
This role will primarily support both the Aviation and ENRPE Corporate Banking business lines in APAC. The ENRPE Business encompasses energy (including renewable energy), natural resources (oil & gas and metals & mining), project and export finance. The candidate will be expected to:
• Assist in the management of the legal risk in relation to financing transactions and matters;
• Review and assist in the structuring, drafting and negotiation of the legal documentation and generally managing transaction documentation process for financing matters;
• Advise the business, management, risk control teams and the relevant committees of BNP Paribas on banking, company and insolvency law issues arising in the course of advisory and transactional work;
• Report / escalate potential legal risk issues;
• Together with the other team members, contribute to the maintenance and communication of know-how, legal updates and templates;
• Manage and assist on multi-jurisdictional or transversal projects where needed; and
• Instruct, supervise and maintain relationships with external lawyers across APAC.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
The candidate should be/ have:
• Strong legal analytical skills with a proven ability to manage, execute and complete cross-border banking and finance transactions,
• Independent, thorough in the execution of his/ her work and commercially minded but always conscious of acting in an ethical manner in the best interests of and in accordance with the policies of BNP Paribas;
• Strong time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritise competing work demands and to meet tight deadlines when required;
• A self-motivated and confident individual who is able to manage a large and diverse workload and interact comfortably with all levels of management within BNP Paribas;
• A outgoing and robust personality, capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team; and
• A team player who is adaptive, open to acquiring new skills and working with different banking products.
Specific Qualifications Required
• Legally qualified in England, Singapore, Hong Kong or any other common law jurisdiction with between two and five years of legal experience in cross-border banking and finance (preferably including experience in an international law firm and/or international bank) with a particular focus on, and a high level of specific experience in, Aircraft (or asset finance) and/or Project Finance;
• Excellent command of spoken and written English; and
• Chinese language fluency (spoken and written) would be an advantage. Other Asian language skills also advantageous.