Overall Job Purpose
CIB Legal supports BNP Paribas' global investment banking operations and comprises over 400 members world-wide. Within CIB Legal, London there is a dedicated section (the Derivatives Securities and Securities Issuance Group – ‘DSG/SIG’) comprising 10 individuals supporting the Bank's various securities issuance programmes including the European Medium Term Note, and the Note, Warrant and Certificate issuance business,
The DSG/SIG team forms a small, friendly team working closely together to manage workload and information but with a high degree of individual responsibility for deadlines, quality and accuracy. The team benefits from being able to call on legal advice from other members of CIB Legal specialising in regulations and particular asset classes.
The Global Markets business area and the Treasury department provide all of the transactions that DSG/SIG has to manage and these may be vanilla fixed/floating rate products or embed more complex interest rate, equity, foreign exchange, fund, commodity or credit linked returns.
The role involves providing legal structuring, advisory and transaction execution support in relation to securitised derivatives including securities regulations, distribution issues and projects and securities issuance programmes matters.
Areas of responsibilities:
• Providing legal structuring advice for new, bespoke products (in the form of securities)
• Legal risk sign-off for English law governed securities/distribution related matters by participating in business approval committees, including monitoring and assessing legal, regulatory and reputational risk in issuance / distribution structures. This involves working closely with structuring and sales teams
• Maintaining, updating and generally improving programme infrastructure
• Advising on regulatory developments affecting English law securities, distribution and issuance vehicles across Europe including MiFID II, PRIIPS, BMR, PD/PR, etc
• Coordinating on-going jurisdictional due diligence for securities sales and distribution
• Representing the Legal department/bank at relevant industry forums, committees or working groups in respect of structured products
• Reviewing securities issuance programmes and responding to front office queries in a timely manner.
• Ensuring that all advice and documentation is of a high quality, efficiently provided and manages legal risk in accordance with prevailing CIB Legal standards.
• Working collaboratively with other team members to manage DSG/SIG’s workload.
1. Where appropriate, assist, involve and communicate with other internal functions and other teams within the Legal department.
2. Keep up to date with securities market and regulatory developments; share know-how appropriately with relevant areas of the business, across the legal teams globally and with other functions; assist with and advise on implementation of regulatory and market infrastructure changes.
3. Manage projects and other issues originated within CIB Legal, including updates of various securities issuance programmes
4. Contribute to supporting wider CIB Legal group on law and regulation affecting securitised derivatives
5. Ensure that relevant business lines and Legal teams are aware of innovations and projects that other DSG/SIG teams or business areas are considering or in the process of implementing
Essential Skills/ Competencies
English or commonwealth law qualified lawyer with relevant practical experience gained at an international law firm or an investment bank in the Derivatives and Structured Products area, the DCM area/Securitisation area.
- Has 3+ years of post-qualification experience
- Experience/product knowledge in complex securities issuance transactions
- Current knowledge on with securities issuance programmes and the Securitisation, DCM or Structured products regulatory framework in Europe
- Working knowledge of BREXIT related issues in respect of securities issuance
- Familiarity with MiFID II, PRIIPS, BRRD and BMR from either a DCM or a Structured Products perspective
- Current or previous knowledge of AIFMD regulations and the management rules and regulations for fund managers
- An outgoing and robust personality who is capable of working both autonomously and collaboratively as part of a cross-disciplinary team/department
- Clear, concise and effective communicator (both written and oral)
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise work
- Strong securities and derivatives law understanding
This role requires a high degree of organisation and planning skills together with technical knowledge, accuracy, numeracy, attention to detail, logical thinking and teamwork
- Location: London
- Salary: competitive
- Deadline to apply: 29/07/2019