Japanese Banking Relationship Manager
Job Description Summary
Responsible for contributing to unit's growth and profitability. Acquires, expands, and retains commercial, small business, and retail relationships by meeting the financial needs of companies and professionals with local markets as well as companies and professionals located in Pacific Rim countries. Develops loans (Consumer, Small Business, and Residential Real Estate), depository accounts and other fee generating services. Responsible for both new business development and portfolio/relationship management. Efforts are directed generally at Japanese owned and operated companies and/or subsidiaries.
Essential Job Functions
- Supports unit business developing goals through effective calling effort on existing and potential customers. To clearly understand the extent of relationship with existing customers including business relationship at the parent level. If necessary, contact will be made directly to the network of parent bank offices and/or customers in order to facilitate transactions. To identify business and personal needs from both existing customers and its employees, as well as from prospects.
- Works closely with Wealth Management, Treasury, Cash Management, International Trade, and other major areas of the Bank to promote the sales and implementation of complex, financial products and services. Provides assistance to customers with Foreign Exchange transactions by contacting the Treasury Department. Acts as a liaison between customers and Treasury Department for the purchase of Euro's or other investment products.
- Originate Consumer, Small Business (including SBA and Express L/C), and Residential Real estate loans by interviewing applicants and determining borrowing needs. Negotiate types of loan and terms and condition within established guidelines. Ensures all loan documentation is accurately completed. Assists customers to sign loan documents and make proper disclosure. May disburse loan proceeds.
- Obtains and analyzes all necessary financial data and supporting documents on borrower, makes recommendations and present credit applications to underwriters/credit administration or any other appropriate lending authority. Situations needing such recommendations will generally include: account related credit facilitates such as ACH Surepay line and Pre Advised line, as well as other business occasions where credit facility is needed.
- Develops and manages a portfolio of major customer relationships (pure retail and commercial) providing consultative advice, products and services to meet customer's need. To increase the number of major relationship and total profitability of portfolio.
- Establishes an effective calling program to interact with customers/prospects resides in Pacific Rim countries to develop new businesses.
- Ensures development and preparation of effective proposals for presentation to existing and potential customers. Has primary responsibility for marketing presentation to professionals or company decision-makers.
Other Job Duties
- Participates in community and business functions/groups to ensure a positive image for the Bank within the designated marketplace. Ensures compliance with CRA outreach program.
- Keeps abreast of economic and political factors with in Pacific Rim countries with an emphasis in Japan which might impact the development of business relationships.
- Provides advice to staff in the operations/customer service unit on sales/marketing approach and product knowledge.
- Resolves unusual or non-routine inquiries to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree or higher
- 5 yrs Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have practical knowledge of project management.
- Complete knowledge of financial products and services used by commercial and retail customers with an emphasis on Japanese owned and operated companies and its executives and employees.
- Demonstrate sales and portfolio management ability.
- Good understanding of issues related to economic, political, and business practices with in Pacific Rim countries with an emphasis in Japan.
- Must be fluent in Japanese.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.