Head of Risk Global Markets
BNP Paribas is a leading European bank with an international reach. It has a presence in 73 countries, with more than 192,000 employees – including more than 146,000 in Europe and over 4,000 in Portugal alone.
BNP Paribas is present in Portugal since 1985, having been one of the first foreign banks to operate in the country. Today, BNP Paribas has several entities operating directly in this territory, offering a wide range of integrated financial solutions to support its clients and their businesses.
Worldwide, the Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporate and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
RISK Global Markets (RISK GM) is responsible for providing full transparency and dynamic analysis of the market, counterparty,
valuation and liquidity risks managed by CIB Global Markets.
RISK GM main missions are the following:
- Ensure high quality day-to-day management of all the market, counterparty and liquidity risks of GM.
- Anticipate on events and identify emerging risks.
- Advise Global Markets in a business minded but independent way on the quality of their risk taking and management.
- Help Global Markets Management assess and adjust their risk profile in line with their objectives and constraints.
- Make the risks of GM portfolios as transparent as possible and advise GM Management in order to help them make informed decisions.
- Ensure the Bank complies with the existing regulatory requirements at all times, and anticipate on the upcoming ones.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This role consists in managing RISK GM teams in Lisbon to service RISK Global Markets in order to fulfil its mission statement
with regards to market, valuation, counterparty and liquidity risks activities.
- Manage RISK GM Lisbon's responsibilities:
- Evaluate and achieve the ramp-up of headcounts towards RISK GM ultimate target for near-shoring
- Identify and develop key areas of competence for the platform
- Develop the risk expertise of the teams.
- Organise and manage the transfer of knowledge and expertise.
- Facilitate the collaboration of RISK GM Lisbon with other RISK GM locations
- Development the RISK GM Lisbon platform so it plays its role in assisting and advising all levels of Management on risktaking decisions:
- Provide quantitative and qualitative support for approval of market and counterparty risk envelopes at all levels,
- Help ensuring as a “second pair of eyes” that risks from the Business Units align with the Group policies and are compatible with its profitability and credit rating objectives.
- Provide analysis and suggestions allowing Risk Officers to propose mitigating actions
- Participate to early anticipations of risks that can negatively affect Global Markets
- Contribute to the Group and RISK function's key projects and initiatives:
- Endorse project sponsorship when relevant
- Contribute to the RISK GM Exco on a regular basis
- Implement decisions from the RISK GM Exco
- Collaborate to innovative and transformative actions undertaken by RISK CIB.
- Promote organizational and process efficiencies within RISK GM and RISK CIB.
- Contribute to the RISK Lisbon platform:
- Participate to the RISK CIB Lisbon Exco
- Encourage local cross-stream RISK collaboration through joint initiatives
- Manage the headcount and resources of RISK GM Lisbon
- Act as the representative of RISK GM to GM, CIB, other RISK teams and other bank functions in Lisbon, Europe and worldwide.
- Promote the Group's risk culture and risk training effort.
- Excellent organizational, managerial and communication skills.
- Multi-year experience as a risk manager of market instruments and positions
- A desire to help their colleagues to thrive.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership skills.
- Demonstrated taste and ability to develop and use cutting edge technology
- English fluency is required, Portuguese knowledge is an advantage.
- Ability to offer different perspectives to solve complex problems.
BNP Paribas is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Equity and diversity are at the core of our recruitment policy because we believe that they foster creativity and efficiency which in turn increase performance and productivity. We strive to reflect the society we live in, while keeping with the image of our clients.
Please note that only applications submitted in English will be considered.
In case you are selected for this role, further documentation will be requested to support your hiring process.