BNP Paribas Asset Management is the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, one of the world’s foremost financial institutions, and offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors. It has a broad range of skills in four investment divisions: Equities, Fixed Income, Private Debt & Real Assets, and Multi-Asset, Quantitative and Solutions (MAQS). Sustainability is at the heart of BNP Paribas Asset Management’s strategy and investment decision-making process, making an active contribution to energy transition, environmental protection and the promotion of equal opportunity and inclusive growth. Its aim is to achieve long-term sustainable investment returns for its clients. BNP Paribas Asset Management has assets under management of $500 billion (as of June 30, 2022), with more than 500 investment professionals and almost 500 client servicing specialists, serving individual, corporate and institutional clients in 67 countries.
We have an excellent career opportunity for the Head of Legal for BNP Paribas Asset Management, Americas in our New York office. This role reports directly to the Head of BNPP Asset Management Legal and is part of BNPP AM Legal’s global management team. The individual will supervise the BNPP AM Legal teams and activities in North America and Latin America and will oversee the management of legal risk in this perimeter. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to:
- Advise senior management on significant matters and contribute substantively across a broad range of competencies.
- Manage a small team with a very broad mandate and prioritize matters with a view to promoting business while minimizing risk.
- Work across cultures, communicate effectively and navigate a large international organization.
- Advise on regulatory matters and for corporate governance of the Group’s registered investment adviser.
- Supervise the legal aspects of client onboarding, which includes the negotiation of client agreements, as well as various agreements with dealers (e.g., ISDA, MSFTA, repurchase agreements).
- New product development, dispute resolution and risk management are also key areas where the Head of Legal’ s contribution is essential
- Identify the main source of legal risks, design and implement appropriate prevention, and risk anticipation framework in collaboration with internal stakeholders.
- Design and implement an appropriate governance (including governance bodies) and ensuring the requisite permanent control framework is implemented and maintained.
- Comply with the obligation of legal risk vigilance, alert and escalation, and coordinate any escalation to the Head of BNPP AM Legal or Legal senior management.
- Ensure adequate reporting and handling of major legal risks in accordance with the Legal Risk Management Framework Master Procedure.
- Provide strategic and operational legal guidance and support to the business, ensuring that all matters are adequately addressed in a timely fashion.
- Identify significant legal and regulatory issues in relation to major files or projects and liaising with senior management, Compliance, General Inspection and Risk, in coordination with the Head of BNPP AM Legal as necessary. Work with departmental leadership in overseeing and ensuring legal compliance across the business, maintaining the business’s integrity both internally and externally.
- Manage and support the Americas Legal team in the US and LatAm, including delegation of assignments, project oversight, feedback/coaching, and performance management.
- Foster strong communication and collaboration with other Legal teams across the globe.
- Manage the business resources and budget allocation for the Americas Legal team.
Role requirements: qualifications and experience
- JD Degree with license to practice in New York State.
- 15+ years of direct experience in an international asset management firm or in private practice law, as well as proficient regulatory knowledge including Investment Advisers Act, Investment Companies Act, Volcker Rule, ERISA, general securities laws and commodities laws.
- Comprehensive understanding of various securities, futures, swap and commodity products, as well as the contracts under which those products are traded.
- Experience advising senior leadership on projects, products, structuring, and industry best practices.
- Solid managerial experience.
Essential skills / competencies: (Technical/behavioral/leadership)
- Analytical skills: Identifies all aspects of a subject and examines them in a critical way to construct a broad point of view. Individual is driven by the desire to know more about things, peoples or events.
- Accuracy: Constantly attentive to the precision and thoroughness of the information sent and to the quality of the work; ensures that errors are minimized.
- Results-Driven: Seeks to achieve the objectives set within the defined timeframe, by acting with tenacity, and by balancing costs and benefits. Continuously seeks optimum performance.
- Negotiation Skills: Obtains best possible results when conflicting interests are at play, leading to a constructive dialogue.
- Leadership: Accomplishes organizational goals by assigning authority and responsibility to the appropriate resources and by providing support and direction.
- Risk Management: Detects, analyses and measures risks relating to people, entities and activities in the organization and marketplace; is able to see the consequences including in a long-term setting; is also able to reduce them.
- Ability to Summarize: Identifies and presents key information. Gives his/her point of view by structuring and summing up all useful elements.
- Communication skills: Expresses his / her messages, both orally and in writing, in an effective, organized way, which is appropriate to the audience being addressed.
- Teamwork: Knows how to work in a team and / or across teams, acts bearing common interests and respect for fellow team members in mind.
- Integrating the Multicultural Dimension: Works with other cultures and businesses, integrating different interpersonal and working styles in his/her approach
- Organizational Skills: Sets priorities, plans actions and methodically monitors their progress by coordinating activities and resources in the best way possible.
- Integrity: Acts ethically, in compliance with what is said and while respecting the company’s values and rules.
Physical presence in BNPP AM’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP AM requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.